Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing Question

I have consistently tested 30 - 35 all season.

When i went to test today i filled to the bottom of the label per the instructions ..... then used the last of my reagent and got 80% or so of the way to the top of the label.

My reading was 50 or so the way it was mixed.

So my question is does that make sense that with too little reagent i would get a higher CYA reading?

Also ... approximately how many tests should i be able to do with the reagent supplied in the tf 100 xl test kit (i believe the xl is irrelevant and only give extra material for CL test)? ...... my kit came with a big huge bottle of CYA reagent but it was only 20% full.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Testing Question

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools

When i went to test today i filled to the bottom of the label per the instructions ..... then used the last of my reagent and got 80% or so of the way to the top of the label.

So my question is does that make sense that with too little reagent i would get a higher CYA reading?
    No clue. Logic says if you had too much water and only a little reagent then it would be less cloudy - but with less total solution - I guess it could be cloudier than normal but I have no idea.

Also ... approximately how many tests should i be able to do with the reagent supplied in the tf 100 xl test kit (i believe the xl is irrelevant and only give extra material for CL test)? ...... my kit came with a big huge bottle of CYA reagent but it was only 20% full.
    That's weird. You should contact the company - my bottle of CYA reagent was totally full. This is the TF100 right?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well, 20% full is not right, for sure. PM me your name and we'll get you fixed up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Also you dont really need to test CYA frequently. Unless you get a lot of splashout or overflow, your CYA wont really change.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by march2012

Also you dont really need to test CYA frequently. Unless you get a lot of splashout or overflow, your CYA wont really change.

I don't .... maybe once a month or so

AND ..... Dave was kind enough to ship me some additional reagent free of charge

THANKS!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner