Place the solar cover under the safety cover?

May 22, 2010
I have an inground 18x36 pool in tennessee where the winter temps are fairly mild with a few weeks in the teens. I have a solar cover and a safety cover... my question is;

Would it be a good idea to place the solar cover under the safety cover or on the reel for the winter?

My initial thoughts are that the pool may stay cleaner with the solar cover on and that I would need to clean it good upon opening...

Ideas?

nomorepoolstore said:
I have an inground 18x36 pool in tennessee where the winter temps are fairly mild with a few weeks in the teens. I have a solar cover and a safety cover... my question is;

Would it be a good idea to place the solar cover under the safety cover or on the reel for the winter?

I've heard that sunlight destroys those covers more than chlorine - so I'm not sure it's a "bad" idea, but not sure what you are trying to accomplish...

nomorepoolstore said:
My initial thoughts are that the pool may stay cleaner with the solar cover on and that I would need to clean it good upon opening...

Ideas?

With a safety cover - all the debris should already stay out and the safety cover is opaque - do you mean a mesh cover? If not I'm not sure why you think the two covers will keep things cleaner than the one alone.

It is really more a matter of storage to be honest. My safety cover needs to go under my reel and if it is not an issue having the solar cover on the pool for the winter then it's a plus!
My safety cover does let in leaves and debris when the wind kicks up, my thought is this may create a barrier that will keep it out of the water.
Sounds like a win win!
Thanks!

I was wondering this same thing! First year with the pool and I do have a new mesh safety cover along with a solar cover that will probably be dead by next season anyway. So does anyone know a reason NOT do do what the OP posted?

I'm curious to. I have a 16x32 pool. I have a Meyco safety cover. I put a black solar cover underneath the safety cover for winter storage. I started debating the effectiveness of the cover. I bought the cover when I acquired the pool thinking the meyco cover would let light in. Thus growing algae. Does the safety cover block the sun. I'm in New York. The pool stays covered for 10 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.