Chemistry and auto cover

savagesix

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2012
New Mexico
Pool is a couple weeks away from being finished. Been learning on the BBB and I will start it after the pool is up and running. A question though on chemistry with an automatic cover. Our pool will be covered a fair amount of the time during the week due to us wanting to keep it safe with the four kids, three dogs, and our busy schedules. I imagine it will be opened a couple hours everyday (so I can at least look at it and smile before I go to work) in the early mornings and late evenings. On the weekends it should be open most of the daylight hours.

What effects will having the pool cover shut have on chemistry? Use more chlorine? Less? Other effects on test results? Any advice?
I am guessing it should stay cleaner from the elements (I hope anyway!)

I will still test daily and look forward to managing the numbers. Thanks in advance for the conversation.

J.

Having the cover on will reduce chlorine usage and reduce PH drift.

You don't want to leave the cover closed for weeks at a time, which can cause problems. It doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.

Debris that would otherwise fall in the pool will fall on the cover. You will need to clean it off of the cover before opening the cover, or much of it will end up in the pool anyway.

Thanks for the reply, sounds good.

I guess I was hoping for some magical effect of having the cover shut some of the time. Keeping the chemistry in balance longer and the pool cleaner and safer is good enough for me!

J.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.