Quick question

Jul 16, 2007
I've been tweeking the pool for a couple of weeks now and I think it is coming along.
CYA is 20. I have been adding stablizer a little at the time. I will add a little more this afternoon.
The PH is 7.5 but the TA is 130. As best I can tell I really shouldn't do anything. Am I correct? I added some muratic acid last weekend to adjust the PH.
Chlorine looks great for the first time ever. It is 1.5 with all free. I haven't shocked it since last weekend so it is all form pucks. I will shock it tonight just cause I really like shocking the pool.
It's vinyl so I don't care about calcium.
Am I thinking straight here?
Do you think I need to adjust something for the TA?

You're good to go.

I think your chlorine consumption would be less if your upped your CYA to about 40.

If you do that, bring the FC up to around 3-5ppm....you'll still lose less, you'll just be keeping the ppm a little higher.

Shocking just to be doing it never lets your pool get to equilibrium. A good goal is to get your water so atable that you add the same amount of chlorine each time and get the same results each time you test. While shocking doesn't hurt, your FC is yo-yoing and I would find that hard to maintain.

Your Alk could be a touch lower...say 100....but I wouldn't make the effort unless it gets above 140.

duraleigh said:
You're good to go.

I think your chlorine consumption would be less if your upped your CYA to about 40.

If you do that, bring the FC up to around 3-5ppm....you'll still lose less, you'll just be keeping the ppm a little higher.

Shocking just to be doing it never lets your pool get to equilibrium. A good goal is to get your water so atable that you add the same amount of chlorine each time and get the same results each time you test. While shocking doesn't hurt, your FC is yo-yoing and I would find that hard to maintain.

Your Alk could be a touch lower...say 100....but I wouldn't make the effort unless it gets above 140.

Thanks Dave,

Last summer I fought algae. About half way through the summer I started testing my own water and did the calculations. I discovered that I had not been adding enough chlorine to bring the pool to that magic shock number where the chemistry works. I started shocking with 2 containers of chlorine and once a week seemd to keep everything in balance. The one thing that I couldn't conquer was the combined chlorine. No matter how clear the water was and how perfect the chemicals seemed it always used some chlorine. The test this morning was the first time all of the chlorine was free.
I wasn't sure if the TA should be adjusted since the PH looked good and it wasn't far out of range. The pool calculator didn't have me add anything except a little stablizer to bring up the CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.