Has anyone filled up there pool with well

I top of mine&fill a little..But, alway's have atleast one load del. to house..All depend's on how you feel about your well&pump...Truck load of water has got so high..Use to be able to get 2 load's for what you pay for one..The top reason I would rather use truck'd in water is because it come's from a city source.So, then your water balance is usually perfect..Just start adding clorine&that's it..

The most common source for iron in pools is when you fill with well water. If you have a pool with too much iron content, you will forever regret putting in that water and any initial savings you might see.

Have your well water tested for iron and if it's below .3ppm, you are good to go. If it's higher, I would not use it.

I used well water. At 300gpm it was hard to say no.

Im sure my iron content is high. When i filled it i didnt clean the pipe long enough and got rust in the pool. Once it filtered out it was fine. Now my pool is clean, warm, and refreshing. YMMV.

Mmonaco said:
I used well water. At 300gpm it was hard to say no.

Im sure my iron content is high. When i filled it i didnt clean the pipe long enough and got rust in the pool. Once it filtered out it was fine. Now my pool is clean, warm, and refreshing. YMMV.

It really all depends on the iron level. Sometimes, you can get by with adding a sequestrant. You have to know the value of the iron content first off though.

I am on a well that after softening has .5 ppm iron. I would truck in the water.
There are a ton of things you can do to mitigate iron/staining. They're all quite expensive over time, and stains will come back every time the sequestrate exhausts itself, or the ph rises a little too fast, or the owner forecloses and innocent lil ole me buys the house ;)

If you truck in that first load of water, then you won't be as snookered if you forget once to pre-filter the water, for example, because the amount going in the pool will be diluted.

I would hazard a guess that a season of jack's magic pink stuff, ascorbic acid stain treatment, and hose pre-filters would cost more than the truck full of water, although I know it's not cheap. Also, at some point, historic staining just doesn't completely go away, which for some people, might prompt the desire for a new liner a few years before it's otherwise necessary. The nanosecond I replace my liner I am trucking in water ;)
So that's my vote.

But see what your reads are. Do you have a water softener for your house? Do you get any staining whatsoever in your dishwasher, toilet, etc? If you do, truck the water ;)

For an initial fill, I would definitely have it trucked in, which is exactly what we did. Not only because it will likely make for a faster fill, but also so you don't tax your well pump with running for hours on end. At our flow rate of 5gpm, it would have taken 3.5 days of continuous running to fill ours from the well. Some of your neighbors may also appreciate that you're not tapping the aquifer for tens of thousands of gallons (even though it may be the same aquifer where the truck gets its water!).

We do top ours off using softened well water and all works just fine. Since our water does have a bit of iron and is slightly hard, using softened water makes sense. I'd note that we soften our water with potassium salt, and it has presented no issues with our NaCl-based salt water pool. Just keep an eye on the chemistry. Not a bad idea to have your well water professionally tested before hand so you know what's going in.

We did our 20k gunnite pool and have regretted it because of the staining...which I cannot get rid of. It is not due to iron but rather manganese in the well water. (We have had our well water tested twice...iron very low; manganese very high.) No one advised us to treat for stains until too late. I have tried Purple Stuff and other off-the-shelf stain inhibitors, but nothing has removed it.

Does anyone have any ideas other then emptying the entire pool and hand scrubbing with something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We top ours off with softened well water... had a leak this year so our pump got a workout.

Our neighbor is on city water and we ran a hose from his outdoor spigot to our pool for the initial fill and paid what the difference was from his normal bill and the bill used to fill our pool. It was more expensive than we hoped, but saved from running the softener and well pump so much... plus no worry about the iron content in our city water (not the same everywhere)

Whatever you decide to use it might be wise to get a sample of the water so you have a good idea what it will take to get it balanced when you start out.

There are all different kinds of wells. In New Jersey's Watchung Range, we have been using well water exclusively since about 1950. There is zero iron (Officially: "Trace") and TA is about 50. Ours is too 'soft' for drinking supposedly, according to the lab tests, but three generations have done just fine doing so. We could fill my old 40k pool in 18 hours, but that well was just for the pool. We wintered empty so we did it every Spring. That well sat on top of an underground source that fed year-round springs as close as 30 feet from the pool, and could run irrigation 24/7 through severe droughts.

Anecdotal evidence of good wells only makes the rest of us jealous. I hope those anecdotes aren't taken as encouragement to fill a pool with well water without testing.

Perhaps the most difficult pool problem here on the forum is metal staining......like the energizer bunny, it lasts and lasts and lasts.

Test your water before filling from a well. 10 years later you'll be glad you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.