My brother-in-law fell while walking down the back steps towards the pool - and he thought he had broken his leg. It's his job to do the bleach nightly... and we were all at the hospital for 6 hours until the wee hours of the morning. I went to bed about 5:45am that night. The next day I was a zombie, the AC at their house broke (2nd time in 2 weeks) and that night I crashed "early" by 10:30pm. Again no bleach was added... In the middle of the night I woke up and said to myself - oh NO! I had a massive migraine AND I had just realized we had not put any bleach in the pool for two days! To make matters worse - I'm an absentee pool boy - I live 1.5 miles from the pool and my father-in-law and brother-in-law were not going to be happy about a middle of the night phone call about bleach!
Fast forward to this morning. I had the brother-in-law dump in 182oz of 6% just to replenish what was expected to have been used up. Daily use on the pool is about 96oz of 6%. BTW the brother-in-law was not hurt at all as it turned out - but that's another story.
When I could finally get free around lunchtime I was surprised to see a pool clear of any cloudyiness or green slime - to my surprise things looked fine except for some leaves from the torrential rains we had last night. I tested the water before proceeding further:
FC: 7.2 (25ml sample used to get more accurate CC measurement)
pH: 7.6+ (not quite 7.8)
TA: 80 (It could be anything from 70-90; I have trouble deciding if it got "redder".)
CYA: 55 (It could be lower - but I'd rather underestimate at this point.)
CH: 280 (Assumed - I didn't retest this time.)
Temp: 70 (assumed - thermometer broke - glass intact but no longer lined up with scale)
Despite the clear water and the lack of CC's I figured - better to "Nip it the bud" as Richard is fond of saying. I then added 1.5 gallons of 12.5% in an attempt to get up to around FC=22 which is what the CYA chart suggests is a good shock level. BTW Poolcalculator.com shock level is 17 and I figure > 17 < 23 is what I'll strive for. I cannot monitor the pool hourly due to work and I have not yet had time to brush. My plan is to brush this evening, retest levels of FC and CC's (10ml samples) and dose back up if below 17 to something between 17 and 22, let it mix, recheck it and perform an OCLT tonight/tomrrow morning.
Does that sound like a good plan?