Air periodically coming out of pool jets - normal ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Throughout the day, we experieince short periods where the Jets that push watwer into the pool will "bubble" - like there's air in the system. When I put my hand in front of the jet when this happens, I notice cooler water (e.g., the water temp appears to be changing). Also, the pool sweep stops operating for like 1 min. or so when this 'change' occurs ... Is this normal? Our thought is that it has something to do with the water flow changing as it comes down from the olar panels on the roof - like maybe the water is not HOT, hence the solar stops flow or something. Is it possible the main Filter needs to be disassembled & cleaned? (It's showing about 25 psi - which seems to have gotten higher over the last month from 19-20 psi)

If this is NOT normal, how do we purge any air in the system? Thanks !

If this is NOT normal, how do we purge any air in the system?
More importantly, stop it from coming into the system in the first place. Your water may be too low allowing the skimmers to "slurp" air but somewqhere on the suction side of your system, you have an air leak. Find that leak and your troubles will be over. :lol:

OK, topping it off now for about 1.5 hours ... It *was* a little low into the skimmer (but I sort of blanme that on the gang that was in the pool yesterday). I'll see if that make a difference (raising the levels).

So maybe briefly explain the principle of Solar water flow? When it is "at temperature (hot)", it flows into the pool normally .. then when it reaches the "cool point", the system switches over to just recirculation, right ?? Is it at that point of switching back and forth that we should se ANY bubbles ??? Or should this all be seamless and unnoticeable? Thanks again.

Interesting ... I think I've narrowed it down to something regarding the pool sweep ... When it is not running the problem goes away - that is, just running the main Filtration Pump is no bubbling ... I need to do a closer inspection of the connections & pump associated with the Sweep ...

More testing yesterday afternoon. I disconnected the Pool Sweep line from the jet and turned it on - no bubbling at all. So then cleaned out the minor debris in the litle filter in the very end where it connects, then connected the sweep again and the bubbling appears to have stopped ... Strange .. bu glad that issue seems gone. Thanks all.

If the bit of debris in the cleaner filter creates more suction head than normal, it can exacerbate a suction side leak that doesn't show up unless you have increased vacuum. As long as it's not bubbling everything is ok but if it starts again and cleaning the vacuum filter doesn't cure it, it's time to find a repair the leak.

Update: Cleaned the FILTER (cartridges) ... They are in sad shape (new owner here). After cleaning, PSI now is down to 20 PSI from 25 PSI. The skimmer is now sucking water much better ... no more bubbles going on ... Clearly something I need to pay more attention to. Thanks again/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.