Swimming during a conversion.

Aug 20, 2012
Hi and thank you for all your valuable information. I have done a lot of reading on there the last few weeks. I am a long term Baquacil user who has run into pink slime problems the last two years. Seriously considering a conversion, but have a few questions...

Can you swim during the conversion process? If not, why not and when can you safely swim? I was told by the pool store that you can swim after six hours of shocking the pool, but seems like TFP members are staying out of the water. We still have a month and a half left of our pool season in the Hudson Valley of New York. Am I better off waiting, and if so, should it be fall or spring? Not sure what is worse, losing a couple weeks of prime swimming of scrubbing and dealing with the slime yet again which also seems to chew up a ton of oxidizer/$.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

I would certainly not swim in a cloudy, semi-opaque pool which I think will be the case during the majority of your conversion time. Even though it may be sanitary, the residual baquagoo would bug me personally and I certainly would like to see the bottom for safety reasons.

I second the not swimming. That's going to be some nasty looking water for a while. You don't want to swim with CC's in the water anyway because of the irritation they cause.

At this point I think I'd wait till next spring to do the conversion, unless the cost and inconvenience of fighting the slime is equal to or greater than the conversion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.