Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Brand new with test results!

Brand new with test results!

So I am completely new to these forums and I'm quite intrigued by the concept over here. In the past I would just order the chemicals from the pool store and follow their directions!

This is my first pool (in the past i managed other people's pools)

Just filled the pool - New house and here are the results from the pool shop
    Chlorine is at 0
    Ph 9.2
    Ta 39
    Ch 155

Any help is appreciated.
    In ground Gunite pool, sand filter, 40,000 gallons in the hot Midwest!

Re: Brand new with test results!

Welcome to tfp, mad831

Not sure how you are measuring your ph at 9.2, but if it is really that high then make sure you reduce it now using Muriatic Acid. Maybe the 9.2 is a typo?

Next you need to get some chlorine in there. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels

The best thing you can do for your pool is get your own test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison I like the tf-100, best bang for buck, and fast shipping too.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks for the response!

Ph is not a mistake for some reason the tap water here is high in ph.

I read up on the test kits and I'm getting my own kit.

I am trying to use the pool calculator but I can't seem to find any info on shocking the pool with bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by mad831
    Thanks for the response!

I read up on the test kits and I'm getting my own kit.

I am trying to use the pool calculator but I can't seem to find any info on shocking the pool with bleach.
    pool-school/ It's in the How-to section
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Then get that down first...do the shocking process after. Use Muriatic Acid to lower.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Wow you guys are quick!

So I'm working on my Ta first then on to the ph and finally shocking the pool.

It's going to be weird pouring "household ingredients" into the pool

Quote Originally Posted by mad831
    Wow you guys are quick!

So I'm working on my Ta first then on to the ph and finally shocking the pool.

It's going to be weird pouring "household ingredients" into the pool
    TA is the last thing you worry about. Adjust pH, hang a sockfull of CYA, and start the bleach. Algae won't wait until TA goes down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Yup, get the pH down and then you can add some baking soda to raise the TA some to about 70ppm to start ... really can be done at almost the same time. Adding the CYA will also help to lower the pH some. Finally you can start they shock process.

Reason being is that pH test is not valid when FC is greater than 10ppm

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!