Thread: Just fired pool guy - suggestions on my plan

1. Back To Top    #1

Just fired pool guy - suggestions on my plan

My test results, followed by my understanding of targets from TFP:

FC=> current: 5; target: 5 if I can get my CYA up to 70 to 80
    pH=> current: 7.8; target: 7.5 - 7.6
    TA=> current: 140; target: 60-80
    CYA=> current: 60; target: 70-80
    Salt Level=> current: 4000; target: 5000-5400 (4500 to 5000 is mfg recommendation, so 400 above recommendations per TFP)

My plan is to reduce SWG control panel output to 50% and manage the chlorine levels with left over chlorine tabs from the previous owner. I'm hoping the tabs will increase CYA. I'll add muriatic acid to decrease pH and TA, and add salt to get up to target. Once I've used the chlorine tabs, or when the CYA is at 75, I'll stop using the tabs and increase SWG output to 100%.

Ultimately I'll run through the chlorine tabs, which I prefer to get rid of, and increase the CYA without having to buy more.

Live in socal by the way.

Thoughts?
    33,000 gallon, AG Plaster, DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just fired pool guy - suggestions on my plan

Welcome to tfp, el guapo

Your plan looks good. I would lower your ph down to 7.2 everytime it goes up towards 7.8, that will speed up lowering your TA.

Be careful with the tabs, cya is easy add, drain/refill to remove.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Your plan looks good.
    I agree with Linen about the pH and I also wouldn't raise the salt much above 5000 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Great, thanks much!
    33,000 gallon, AG Plaster, DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG