Pump very loud

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
Yesterday, my pump got very noisy. I'm not familiar with pumps and their workings but from what I've been reading, I suspect motor bearings. What all do I need to check to verify this? I'm a pretty handy DIY guy, just don't have much experience in the way of pumps such as this. If it is the bearings, or maybe something else, where would I go about getting replacement parts?

The easiest way to tell is to take the back cover off and turn the motor by hand, feeling for any dragging or roughness in the bearings. With the power off of course.

If it is the bearings, the seal is most likely in need of replacement too. You can buy just seal and bearings and replace them yourself, or you can have a motor or pool shop repair it for you.

Before you take the pump apart, check to see that the drain plugs on the pump are tight, check the little o-ring on them first. Mine were loose at the start of the season and my pump made quite a racket. Just something easy to try first.

Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.