Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump very loud

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central Kentucky

Pump very loud

Yesterday, my pump got very noisy. I'm not familiar with pumps and their workings but from what I've been reading, I suspect motor bearings. What all do I need to check to verify this? I'm a pretty handy DIY guy, just don't have much experience in the way of pumps such as this. If it is the bearings, or maybe something else, where would I go about getting replacement parts?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pump very loud

The easiest way to tell is to take the back cover off and turn the motor by hand, feeling for any dragging or roughness in the bearings. With the power off of course.

If it is the bearings, the seal is most likely in need of replacement too. You can buy just seal and bearings and replace them yourself, or you can have a motor or pool shop repair it for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump very loud

Before you take the pump apart, check to see that the drain plugs on the pump are tight, check the little o-ring on them first. Mine were loose at the start of the season and my pump made quite a racket. Just something easy to try first.

In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump