Auto drain feature?

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
Is it feasible to add an auto drain feature after construction? Honestly I never thought of it before or during, but now that we have had the pool all summer and I have had to go out in the rain several times to start a siphon, I am really interested in a method to drain automatically.

Any thoughts?

From what I can tell, my best two options would be a submersable pump and manually put it in when needed, or adding a hose bib in the plumbing between the pump and filter. Although I believe since my equipment it below the surface of the water I could add a bib before the pump, which would prevent me from losing ALL the water should it be forgotten and left on?

Man... I wish I would have though of this before hand! I never realized how often I would have to remove water from it.

The hose bib after the pump is probably your best solution.

There's no reason to worry about water level during a rain. Although it might seem like the pool will overflow and cause water issues, the reality is that a full IG pool is no different than an empty yard during a heavy rain. The only water that comes out is the amount of rain falling on the pool, which is exactly what you'd have on the yard without the pool.

After a cold beverage, and thinking about it further, I came up with a new plan.... please let me know if you think this is a bad idea or not!

Instead of putting the hose bib either before the pump (equipment is below the water level) or after the pump (before the filter), I think that changing a ball valve on the skimmer to a 3 way valve and adding a hose bib there makes the most sense. This would only put pressure on the poppet valve (for the hose bib assembly) when the ball valve was turned in a direction to do so.

I may not even do a hose bib.... I may make the "third direction" a 2" PVC pipe that is burried underground and routed to where my back yard starts to drop off. THis would mean that all I have to do to lower water level would be turn the ball valve. I may also have to run the pump to depending on exactly where it comes out, and the water level, but that seems allot more simple. Also, going with 2" PVC should make dropping water level faster.....

The run would be about 350-400' but would be simple enough with the tractor.

THoughts?

Any kind of tap on the suction side of the pump won't work unless it is below pool water level and the pump is off. If you open a valve on the suction side with the pump on, it draw air in rather than pumping water out.

There has been an outlet put into the skimmer that goes down somewhere, definatly not something done at the factory. Seems to have a very small hole in it and I have no idea as to where it goes as yet. Will have a better idea as to where it goes in a month when I dig the area up to fix a suction leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.