How to disconnect booster pump?

samyournot

Nov 28, 2009
I have a Polaris PB4 booster pump that's not working. I am able to manually rotate the shaft and have replaced the capacitor, but it still only hums when I try to turn it on. I would like to bring it into the shop to get it checked out. Problem is, I'm not sure how to disconnect it. While my main pump is connected with compression fittings, the plumbing that connects to the booster pump is sealed with what I assume to be joint compound.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Attachments

• 2012-08-19_14-43-45_21aa.jpg
    2012-08-19_14-43-45_21aa.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 2012-08-19_14-45-22_511bb.jpg
    2012-08-19_14-45-22_511bb.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012-08-19_14-51-55_488cc.jpg
    2012-08-19_14-51-55_488cc.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 79
Flawed said:
Qwaxalot said:
And an idiotic installation :hammer:

Yeah, I'm no math wizard, but I reckon going from 2" to a 1" is cutting that flow in half.
From what I've read, GPM is where it's at. Keeping the flow going is best.

These booster pumps are not like regular pumps. The are optimized for high pressure low flow vs. High flow low pressure. Typically they are hooked up with 1" hoses.

UnderWaterVanya said:
These booster pumps are not like regular pumps. The are optimized for high pressure low flow vs. High flow low pressure. Typically they are hooked up with 1" hoses.

Did I mention I'm no pool/spa wizard either?? Learn something new every day! Thanks for the Info, Vanya! :goodjob:

Flawed said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

Did I mention I'm no pool/spa wizard either?? Learn something new every day! Thanks for the Info, Vanya! :goodjob:

LOL my first pool is the one I am ttaking care of now. I just read a lot and I happen to have the same booster pump. Another thread gave me the education on flow vs pressure - happy to pass it along.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.