Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to disconnect booster pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to disconnect booster pump?

I have a Polaris PB4 booster pump that's not working. I am able to manually rotate the shaft and have replaced the capacitor, but it still only hums when I try to turn it on. I would like to bring it into the shop to get it checked out. Problem is, I'm not sure how to disconnect it. While my main pump is connected with compression fittings, the plumbing that connects to the booster pump is sealed with what I assume to be joint compound.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to disconnect booster pump?

Looks like you can leave the plumbing there. Unhook the wiring. Undo the 6 bolts on the impeller housing, pull the whole thing out and take that to the shop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

@Richard320: Thanks for the suggestion. If I do that, will I need to replace the mechanical seal?

4. Back To Top    #4

They'll do it at the shop. They'll fight the impeller off, too, if it's frozen on the shaft.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

and yup, that's a reducer.
    Intex 16'x48" easy set, 5000 gal. (AGP) w/ thru wall skimmer
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter S180T / Hayward Pro Series XL 1.5hp Pump
    TFTestKit-100 -- The Pool Calculator -- Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Flawed
    and yup, that's a reducer.
    And an idiotic installation
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Yeah, I'm no math wizard, but I reckon going from 2" to a 1" is cutting that flow in half.
    From what I've read, GPM is where it's at. Keeping the flow going is best.
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter S180T / Hayward Pro Series XL 1.5hp Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Yeah, I'm no math wizard, but I reckon going from 2" to a 1" is cutting that flow in half.
    From what I've read, GPM is where it's at. Keeping the flow going is best.
    These booster pumps are not like regular pumps. The are optimized for high pressure low flow vs. High flow low pressure. Typically they are hooked up with 1" hoses.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    These booster pumps are not like regular pumps. The are optimized for high pressure low flow vs. High flow low pressure. Typically they are hooked up with 1" hoses.
    Did I mention I'm no pool/spa wizard either?? Learn something new every day! Thanks for the Info, Vanya!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Did I mention I'm no pool/spa wizard either?? Learn something new every day! Thanks for the Info, Vanya!
    LOL my first pool is the one I am ttaking care of now. I just read a lot and I happen to have the same booster pump. Another thread gave me the education on flow vs pressure - happy to pass it along.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump