Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here - Pool is Green :-(

1. Back To Top    #1

New here - Pool is Green :-(

Hi all, I just joined TFP after a 3rd year of my Intex pool turning green once the water temp got to about 95F. Today I went out and see that there are backswimmers in the pool as well. sigh... So, using the pool calculator I added 182 oz of bleach to get it up to shock level (7500gal) and I am ordering a TF100 to properly test.

Now that I joined, I donated to be a supporter and am wondering how I can get the $10 off of the TF100. Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here - Pool is Green :-(

I wasn't patient enough. Jason got me setup with the discount. Once I get numbers, I'm sure I'll be begging for help

3. Back To Top    #3

182 oz of 6% will only raise FC to 12. Which is fine if you have low CYA, but odds are, since you're new here, you've been using trichlor pucks for who knows how long which will have driven CYA up to triple digits. Which then makes the shock level much, much higher than you think is necessary.

You need to spend a little more time in Pool School.
    category.php?c=getting_started
    category.php?c=pool_chemistry
    pool-school/defeating_algae
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    182 oz of 6% will only raise FC to 12. Which is fine if you have low CYA, but odds are, since you're new here, you've been using trichlor pucks for who knows how long which will have driven CYA up to triple digits. Which then makes the shock level much, much higher than you think is necessary.

You need to spend a little more time in Pool School.
    category.php?c=getting_started
    category.php?c=pool_chemistry
    pool-school/defeating_algae
    Ahh, but no. I never use trichlor, only GV bleach from WalMart. I have been lurking here for a while , but I keep having issues using the hth kit each year (I'm cheap, but it's costing me!), so I figured it was time to get more serious and order the tf100, which I did earlier today. I just did a CYA test with my hth kit and it's at 40 now. Wife went to the store and I just dumped another 182oz in it tonight. So I am thinking I am around 25ppm given the 4ppm I had before I started but I don't think I'll really know until I get the good kit. Is there any danger in going a bit over? I mean 30ish until I get the kit?

5. Back To Top    #5

No.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I added another 96oz on Wed night and then another last night. Got my TF100 and tested today and have 9ppm. So I am below shock
    I just added another 182 after testing so according to the calc it will put me around 20ppm. It is much harder to keep it in the shock range than I thought.
    I will test tonight and in the morning to see what my overnight FC loss is. But I guess according to Pool School, What I used this week was wasted as it dropped much faster than I thought and got below shock level. Such a bummer... Not much warm weather left.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Not really wasted as you killed something with it but not as good as HOLDING the FC at shock value.....that's what will clear your pool the quickest using the least amount of chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess I am not the only one fighting this around here. Wife says WM is out of GV brand in the big bottles and has been for a while so I am now using the expensive branded stuff.