pool heating redneck style....

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
391468_446803882030826_9729724_n.jpg

at least their water looks good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vIoTPJNtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/quote]

"and you can cook hot dogs and wieners while you heat the pool" - classic![/quote]

I know, it's hysterical, but you gotta give him credit for simplicity. I like the toys scattered everywhere, adds to the authenticity and the fact that some kids are going to be enjoying that pool.

I also like the neighbor in the background who seems a little freaked. He should invite her over for some hot dogs and weiners... But i am wondering if there is a diff between the two in Kentucky - That's not meant to be a "randy" comment ..... Down here, the kids get the hot dogs and the adults the bratwurst, sausage dogs, etc..

Good one about the wheelbarrow, someday, I'll have to tell you about the 55 gal drum we used to "swim" in --- no joke, it's among my "we were so poor...." lines I use on our son :eek:

Have a good day y'all, this was a nice laugh to start the day with.

MoreSparkle - I have to admit, for the most part I'm actually quite impressed by the simplicity of the whole thing. It's so funny that many times the only reason I don't do something is because it won't "look" right! There's quite a bit of discussion on the board about heating a pool with wood and I believe that many people are of the camp that there just aren't enough BTUs in the wood to get the job done. Yet.. Here we are. Pipe across the fire pit :)

Plus you get to cook while others swim...

This is pretty much the pool equivalent of a carbeque - http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine

Oooh maaannn!! I had a huge laugh on this video. Love it, just love it.
It's so simple too! I think it might actually work quite well, so long as you have the spare wood.
What really gets it for me, is the hose, it just meeeeeaaaanders around, lah te daaah! LOL

radefeld said:
MoreSparkle - I have to admit, for the most part I'm actually quite impressed by the simplicity of the whole thing. It's so funny that many times the only reason I don't do something is because it won't "look" right! There's quite a bit of discussion on the board about heating a pool with wood and I believe that many people are of the camp that there just aren't enough BTUs in the wood to get the job done. Yet.. Here we are. Pipe across the fire pit :)

Plus you get to cook while others swim...

This is pretty much the pool equivalent of a carbeque - http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine
OK, now that's just sad that someone actually not only bothered to make a Car-B-Que tutorial, but that they actually took photos and timed how long various things take to cook.
EPIC!! I just love people sometimes. :p

Oh and I couldn't agree more, there's some pretty redneck stuff I have done, or as I like to call it "Yankee Ingenuity" and some I haven't, just because it'll look ugly!! LOL
Now my brother? He doesn't give a hoot, he just does it. ROFL

I don't ave the link handy, but if you guys haven't seen it, google around for the redneck pool heater a guy really made using a barbecue, coiled pipe and real science. It's hilarious. He did it in honor of his father, who had been an HVAC guy ;)

Swampwoman, I think I saw the one you are talking about, it was pretty cool. As far as the carbeque goes, fwiw to anyone thinking about it, be sure to start early.... on a 12-hour drive we stopped midway in Jackson, MS and picked up a pork tenderloin, seasoning and foil. By the time we got to my parents in central Ark., it was 6 hours later.... dh wasn't confident about how well it was actually cooked (hazard of having a MS in food science) and what temp it had stayed at for 6 hours...so... my folks yellow lab had a tasty feast that night.... it was Thanksgiving or Christmas, and I wouldn't think a cool outside temp would matter that much compared to the heat under the hood... but neither one of us are thermodynamic engineers....

but it is fun to at least try once. :p

you know we have one is those probe thermometers with an alarm when the desired temp is reached.....I bet it would reach from under the hood up to the drivers side window, and it is magnetic...... maybe there's a carbeque 2 in our future....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MoreSparkle said:
Swampwoman, I think I saw the one you are talking about, it was pretty cool. As far as the carbeque goes, fwiw to anyone thinking about it, be sure to start early.... on a 12-hour drive we stopped midway in Jackson, MS and picked up a pork tenderloin, seasoning and foil. By the time we got to my parents in central Ark., it was 6 hours later.... dh wasn't confident about how well it was actually cooked (hazard of having a MS in food science) and what temp it had stayed at for 6 hours...so... my folks yellow lab had a tasty feast that night.... it was Thanksgiving or Christmas, and I wouldn't think a cool outside temp would matter that much compared to the heat under the hood... but neither one of us are thermodynamic engineers....

but it is fun to at least try once. :p

you know we have one is those probe thermometers with an alarm when the desired temp is reached.....I bet it would reach from under the hood up to the drivers side window, and it is magnetic...... maybe there's a carbeque 2 in our future....

No need to worry about it that much, you're overthinking the conditions.
Your exhaust manifold gets to be well over 800 deg when running and easily 600 when off. Depends on the vehicle, but they get hotter than an oven and they stay hot, for a looooong time.
My non-contact digital thermometer can't even read as hot as they get, it doesn't go that high.
They're iron in most vehicles, think of an iron skillet and how well it holds and evenly distributes heat.
Not to mention that even an oven cycles the elements or gas burners off and on to regulate heat. The metals retain the heat in between cycles, Iron and stone do this best.

Just check the temp with a meat thermometer, make sure it's at your desired & safe cooking temp and you're golden!!

The hood deflects the heat, recirculating it back down to the engine, and also somewhat out the bottom of the engine compartment, down under the vehicle to be swept away by the airflow over the chassis.
The hood also circulates, fresh cool(er) air from the vents at the front of your vehicle as well as your engine fan(s).
It's like a convection oven with a constant heat source really. LOL

Swampwoman said:
I don't ave the link handy, but if you guys haven't seen it, google around for the redneck pool heater a guy really made using a barbecue, coiled pipe and real science. It's hilarious. He did it in honor of his father, who had been an HVAC guy ;)

I'd like to see that if either you or Swampwoman can find the link.
I'd search for it, but it's going to be a serious myriad of things. HAHA

.[/quote]No need to worry about it that much, you're overthinking [/quote]

maybe so.. but it didn't "look done" like a pork tenderloin should (and I've cooked many :wink:) and when we did use a meat thermometer on it, it hadn't reached temp.... if I remember correctly, it was about 150 F... maybe it wasn't placed right, but as I recall it was sitting on the manifold.... we were mystified as to why it wasn't good and hot....and you can't tell that to a food scientist who has had it drilled in him, if in doubt, throw it out.

I think I would rather have a constant read on it. The kind I am referring to is on a cable and goes, I believe to 550 F. Which doesn't matter, once it got to 165-170, it should be ok...I would think....

I really think we need another on the road test!!! I have some homemade peach chutney in desperate need of a roasted pork tenderloin or turkey... :cool:

BTW--- I believe this is the link you are looking for.. enjoy... let us know how it turns out....

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

MoreSparkle said:
y_not said:
No need to worry about it that much, you're overthinking
Maybe so.. but it didn't "look done" like a pork tenderloin should (and I've cooked many :wink:) and when we did use a meat thermometer on it, it hadn't reached temp.... if I remember correctly, it was about 150 F... maybe it wasn't placed right, but as I recall it was sitting on the manifold.... we were mystified as to why it wasn't good and hot....and you can't tell that to a food scientist who has had it drilled in him, if in doubt, throw it out.

I think I would rather have a constant read on it. The kind I am referring to is on a cable and goes, I believe to 550 F. Which doesn't matter, once it got to 165-170, it should be ok...I would think....

I really think we need another on the road test!!! I have some homemade peach chutney in desperate need of a roasted pork tenderloin or turkey... :cool:

BTW--- I believe this is the link you are looking for.. enjoy... let us know how it turns out....

http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

Oh yeah, if it was below temp, toss it! For sure. That is completely and totally without question.
I thought you were implying it was at temp, but because you didn't know how consistently it got there, that you gave it to the dog.

Yes, the digital kind would be fabuuuu!
A ton of ways to rig it up and have people look at you funny while you're driving. :p
You may have to shield the top of the probe that's exposed, so it doesn't read the manifold temp, but instead the meat temp. Seeing as the manifold is sooo hot.

How new is your car, do you have one of those funny composite plastic manifolds?
Or is it iron? It'll have red ferrous oxide rust on the surface if it is.

COOL!! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
A member actually did this, but it wasn't this elaborate. That one on the site has some serious tubing. WOW!!
Oh and see his "SEXY" collar? LOL I think he forgot to take it off. ;)

I love those double pictures of him.. I bet his 13 year old daughter who helped him with the project dressed him up :)

I am thinking if the probe is all the way in the roast, etc... it will be "shielded".... it was a 13 year old Buick lesabre, which I loved, now it's a 5 year old toyota Avalon... so not sure... would think the older gm engine would have been hotter.... that was a great car... too bad I cracked it up alongside a light pole.... cat running across the road :-(... the cat lived, the Buick died.... thankfully no one hurt...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.