My pool run time

Jul 23, 2012
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and a new pool owner. My wife and I just bought our first house and we have a 10,000 ingound pool. I have been doing the BBB method the whole time and love it. I am just wondering how long I should run my pool pump for? I want to run it at the minimum to keep the pool looking good and to save money on my power bill. I live in southern utah and the temp is in the 100's during the summer. I currently run it 10 hours. 11am - 9pm and keep my FC around 8 - 10.

I have been researching to try and find the perfect run time for my pool and on Pentair's website it says my pumps runs at 110 gpm. So according to my math for 1 turnover i should run my pump for just under 2 hours and that seems way to short. If I could get some help from you guys I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to TFP !

There is an article in Pool School that discusses determining run time. Basically, just reduce it until you are not happy with the cleanliness of the pool ... it is all trial and error.

Btw, there is no way you are getting anywhere near that flow rate. The specs are based on no head loss I think, but you have a filter and plumbing and eyeballs that will reduce the flow.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You might as well ask how deep is a hole! :mrgreen:

Does your pool have a spa? I measured the spa and timed it sucking down and then refilling and got an average GPM by crunching numbers. 4 hours should turn my water over once a day, and that's what it's set for. But everyone's pool is different.

As mentioned before, read this article from Pool School.

Unless you have high tech equipment to determine the actual flow and turnover rate of water in your pool, there is really no telling what the actual amount is.

Just do some trial and error testing since each pool is different.

Start out with 12 hours and work your way down.
I run mine about 8-9 hours a day in the peak summer months and less in the cooler months.

You may get a little better surface skimming by spreading run time out. Capture more stuff of top better it can sink. Keeps the chemicals mixed too. Really personal preference again.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.