Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool run time

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool run time

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and a new pool owner. My wife and I just bought our first house and we have a 10,000 ingound pool. I have been doing the BBB method the whole time and love it. I am just wondering how long I should run my pool pump for? I want to run it at the minimum to keep the pool looking good and to save money on my power bill. I live in southern utah and the temp is in the 100's during the summer. I currently run it 10 hours. 11am - 9pm and keep my FC around 8 - 10.

I have been researching to try and find the perfect run time for my pool and on Pentair's website it says my pumps runs at 110 gpm. So according to my math for 1 turnover i should run my pump for just under 2 hours and that seems way to short. If I could get some help from you guys I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    10,000 gallon inground plaster pool with spill over spa. Sand Filter. Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4 1hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool run time

Welcome to TFP !

There is an article in Pool School that discusses determining run time. Basically, just reduce it until you are not happy with the cleanliness of the pool ... it is all trial and error.

Btw, there is no way you are getting anywhere near that flow rate. The specs are based on no head loss I think, but you have a filter and plumbing and eyeballs that will reduce the flow.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You might as well ask how deep is a hole!

Does your pool have a spa? I measured the spa and timed it sucking down and then refilling and got an average GPM by crunching numbers. 4 hours should turn my water over once a day, and that's what it's set for. But everyone's pool is different.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

i run mine for 10 hrs per day here in se texas with my variable speed pump on level 2 (1500 rpm) and mine looks just fine.

5. Back To Top    #5

As mentioned before, read this article from Pool School.

Unless you have high tech equipment to determine the actual flow and turnover rate of water in your pool, there is really no telling what the actual amount is.

Just do some trial and error testing since each pool is different.

Start out with 12 hours and work your way down.
    I run mine about 8-9 hours a day in the peak summer months and less in the cooler months.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the many responses. Another question is should I have it in one long run time or spaced out. I like the idea of spacing out but is there any benifit in doing it?
    10,000 gallon inground plaster pool with spill over spa. Sand Filter. Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4 1hp pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

You may get a little better surface skimming by spreading run time out. Capture more stuff of top better it can sink. Keeps the chemicals mixed too. Really personal preference again.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!