244T Hayward filter Stuck?

Aug 19, 2012
I install a used 1yeard old 244t filter for my inground pool about 27000 gallons, now my pool is all green like I just open it. It seems like the fiter is just recirculating the water because I tried to backwash and it seems like nothing is sticking to the filter, any ideas?
Thank You

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

It sounds like you are expecting the filter to filter out the algae. It won't do that. YOu need chlorine to kill algae first and then the filter will work. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, and then plan on shocking the pool.

Well, there's an update. Been pumping chlorine in to the pool, the filter has gone non stop, sweep 2 to 3 times a day and still just lighter green. With my old filter and when the pool was green everytime I backwashed the water was dark green wich I asume was working + pool got cleaner with less chlorine. With this new filter I back was, same color water. It seems like this filter is just circulating the water and not running it through the sand ( is that possible on a 244T Hayward Filter? can a gasket or the valve itself be wrong. It's been close to a week of doing this. I'm not new at this I had an above ground pool for 15 years and have this inground pool for the past 10 years the other filter was a Swimquip sand filter and at start up all I did was shock the pool and sweep everyday and within 3 to 4 days the pool was clear. The reason I changed was because I was getting to much sand in pool every year and got tired of changing finger.

Regardless if the filter is working or not, if the pool is still green, you have likely not added or circulated enough chlorine. Can you please post a full set of test results? What kind of chlorine are you using?

FC, CC, PH, TA, CH and CYA

I already put 12 gallons of liquid chlorine in 7 days don't you think that should do it? and like I said I've had a green pool before and never toke this long so my question remains can it be the Multi function valve.

Unless you can provide some specifics as to the size of the pool and what level you have raised your FC to as well as your CYA stabilizer level, then no, I have no idea if 12 gals of liquid chlorine is enough to clear your pool. I've cleared messes requiring 30+ gals of 12.5%, especially if you have ammonia in your water. Depending on the size of your pool, 12 gals over 7 days isn't all that much.

Bottom line you need to understand your water chemistry, if you want to fix it. The filter may be broken, but the pool is green because you likely still have live algae...no filter will clear that.

30000 gallon inground pool, chlorine 5, ph 7.8 it's been at this level all week, I sweep and add chlorine every day ran out of chlorine started to use bleach. Own this pool for 10 year always dark green when I open, never, never used this much choline not even for the whole year untill I change the filter a month ago, after I change the filter pool went greener and greener and greener, now with this much chlorine it's turning light green, I was hoping to swim one more time before winter but I don't see it. I'm going to pool store and get more chlorine and a better test kit so I can post better readings. The pool is like a light green/grey'is so the algae is dieing ( I hope).

Sounds like a plan...I would hate to see you get a test kit at the store that can not test FC up to 50ppm.

Below are the only kits we recommend and are almost never available in the store, but you can try.

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Again the multi valve may be an issue, but even it it were broken...the pool should be able to turn cloudy grey if shocked properly.

below is the shock process we follow

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

and

pool-school/defeating_algae

CYA is also going to determine your shock FC level...FC of 5 is not all that high...but you have added about 50ppm over the past 7 days

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.