Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Inground

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Inground

I have been doing alot of research and I have deceided to do my own inground install. My local pool guy quoted my $29,800 for 18'x36' basic pool. With the kits I have been looking at I can do it for around $15k with Fiber lighting and better equipment. I was looking for anyone that has installed their own and how you felt about the process. Any and all comments are welcome. FYI I do have extensive construction experiance and as my kids tell everyone "can fix anything" LOL Thanks all!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DIY Inground

Welcome to the forum. Several folks on here have done their own pool build successfully. Go for it.

If you get hung up on a detail or choice, lot's of folks here will help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

we did our DIY pool last summer. feel free to check out our build thread and learn from our many many mistakes! Good luck!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

i did everything but the digging and liner/bottom. Its not rocket science. I only have a basic construction background ( a little of every thing LOL) you'll do fine
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

we did the digging and the vermiculite bottom. the vermiculite was rocket science! Just kidding. However, my husband says he would contract out the verm if he had it to do over.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

6. Back To Top    #6

If I had it to do over again .. And was willing to spend the money for an inground, I would ask hubby tj attempt it with me. We do home renovations and are handy at learning how to do things. I think it would be a fun learning experience and a challenge too. Go for it!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanx everyone!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking forward to your project!

I am sure if you have questions, folks on here can help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Very interested in following this project. Planning the very same thing myself in the upcoming months, or as soon as I can have septic tank lines moved and get some trees down.

Best of luck to you, and it seems the folks here in TPF are a pretty secure safety net
    18x36 IG, vinyl liner, 29,000 gal, Astral VX SWG, Heyward Sand filter, Tri Star 1 hp pump, 30 mil liner,