Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bizzare white cubes in pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Bizzare white cubes in pools

I see a lot of foreclosures that have pools that are swamps. I would guess that 50% of them have these strange white cubes in them. There is usually around 5 in the pool. They are about 1 inch by 1 inch. I have never once seen them in a clean pool. I had always kind of assumed it was something that the people who were living at the house put in the pool. However recently i cleaned a swamp, then the realtor was supposed to maintain the pool until the house sold. He didn't do anything and within a month the pool was a swamp, when i went out there today these cubes were in the pool. So in this case i know nobody put these cubes in the pool. Another observation with the cubes is they always seem to be spaced an equal distance from eachother, i dont know maybe im just imagining that. I have a picture on my phone but i am not really sure how i get that on to the website. Let me know if you have any guesses.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bizzare white cubes in pools

Maybe some sort of mosquito control placed there by the county health department?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I really want to see these pictures. You can email the pictures by sending the picture as a TXT message to an email address. Once the email is on your computer you can save the photo and then use the upload picture option in the forum post.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Maybe some sort of mosquito control placed there by the county health department?
    As usual, I think Richard has nailed it.

http://www.myadapco.com/viewproduct....cat=larvicides
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard does indeed have it right. Those briquettes are exactly what i am seeing. Well i am glad i know now. Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Neat, now the question is does this chemical have any effect on the pool assuming you don't drain the pool and just start dumping chlorine in to get it back into shape.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah i don't really know, this is the first time i have seen them while the pool is filled. Usually i don't see them until after i have drained the pool, because you can't see to the bottom. The majority of the time though, i don't drain the pool, so maybe after 20-30 gallons of cl they dissolve.

8. Back To Top    #8

The briquets release bacteria that are harmful to mosquito larvae. You would just remove the briquets and then clean the pool as you normally would for an algae-filled swamp. Shocking with chlorine will kill the bacteria.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

wonder if the bacteria in these briquets would lower cya in a clean pool? hmmmmm

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by yeggim
    As usual, I think Richard has nailed it.

http://www.myadapco.com/viewproduct....cat=larvicides
    Thanks so much for that link. I have printed that and forwarded it to my mom's neighborhood association, West Nile is such a big deal here, I'm hoping they can distribute these to damp parts of the woods in their area and for any underground water meter boxes that hold water after a rain.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.