Broken Ladder and other questions - POOL NEWBIE

Aug 17, 2012
Hey guys,

I bought a house about a year ago and kept the pool guy that maintained it in the past. He sold his business and every since I've struggled with green water. I've learned from your site and the local pool store that I must drain about half my water because my CYA was was too high. So I've drained about 2/3 of my pool. I figured while the water was low I should do some other maintenance.

The pool light has never worked so I've taken that out, however, I can't seem to find the switch to turn the pool light on, perhaps someone down the line "killed it". I'll higher an electrician to figure this one out. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

More pressing, is the broken ladder step. I can't figure out how to fix/replace this. We don't use the ladder, so I am even up to chiseling out the broken step and patching the hole. Any thoughts?

Also, any ideas on how to best replace the bricks that make up the coping?

Any other stuff you guys recommend before putting water back in the pool?

If I decided to put in a SWG, any recommendations?

Pictures below.

Thanks for the help.

-Scott
Pool - 16,000
Age - Around 20 years, but has been resurfaced about 10 years ago.
Filter - Sand

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 94
Depends on how handy you are. You can buy replacement steps pretty cheaply. If you're careful, you can chisel out the old step and reset it using a waterproof cement. More challenging will be blending the chipped out area with the rest of the pool. White waterproof cement may work, or you can try your hand at mixing up some marcite (it will never match, but may be good enough).

The light fixture in your picture is shot, it needs to be replaced. The niche doesn't look too good either, however you're stuck with that.

The other end of the cord should end in a junction box, from there the wiring will go to a switch or electrical source of some sort. Replacing the light fixture will do no good unless there is power at the junction box.

Good luck

Thanks Qwaxalot.

Any recommendations on where to find a matching pool step. I can't seem to find one online. Also, I've checked Home Depot and Lowes for waterproof cement and they don't have it - is there some other name I should be calling it? The water level is currently lower than the step, so does this have to be waterproof cement. I'm leaning toward chiseling out the step and patching the hole. It is August and South Texas is HOT (and my family is missing the pool). I need to get this done (but done right).

Thanks,
Scott

A 2-part epoxy will work....it is sold in gallon cans at HD or Lowe's can't remember who makes it. You will have to paint to match surrounding but it is workable/pliable and you can get the texture correct if you are careful. I don't know if you can still get that step, though.

You guys are AWESOME. Thanks for the advice.

I've had to order the epoxy, as my local stores don't carry it. I've put a rush on the shipping, but as it is Sunday, I don't expect it in until Tuesday. My pool will have to sit 2/3 empty for the next few days as I make the repairs. Some of the local pool owners have cautioned me on this - is this really a problem?

Another question - I have a hayward light. I've thought about replacing it with a hayward colorlogic LED (I have two daughters who would "dig" this). Any review or thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

-Scott

strudeau said:
Thanks Qwaxalot.

Any recommendations on where to find a matching pool step. I can't seem to find one online. Also, I've checked Home Depot and Lowes for waterproof cement and they don't have it - is there some other name I should be calling it? The water level is currently lower than the step, so does this have to be waterproof cement. I'm leaning toward chiseling out the step and patching the hole. It is August and South Texas is HOT (and my family is missing the pool). I need to get this done (but done right).

Thanks,
Scott

You'll need to locate a distributor who supplies pool builders. Those steps are still used and should be readily available. The cement I was referring to was white water stopping cement, also known as "pool patch", available from the same source as the step (although the epoxy, that you already ordered, should work).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.