need a new pool motor :( need help!

beachmom

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2009
My motor just stopped working after whining for a day or 2....and before I just replace it with the same one, I was wondering if anyone had any advise on the best pump to replace it with...
we have a Sta- rite Max-E-Pro
model P6E6E-206L
1 hp .75 kw

pool is 20x40 35,000 gallons, liner, sand filter, salt,
any help would be great!
also is there a recommended place to buy this??

The first time, did you replace the motor or the whole pump? Replacing just the motor may be the cheapest way to go. Also you could consider a 2-speed motor at that point.

What size filter do you have and what diameter plumbing?

This is the first time we have to replace this motor.. Can I just replace the motor?

The filter is a Hayward model# S244T ..It says the filter area is 3.14 ft, is that what you meant, I am new at this, sorry..
and the elbow pipes all say 1 1/2 "

I would love any advise on what to buy.. My husband is going to install this and is great at things like this.

Also, are there any prefered vendors associated with this site? I would love to give the business to one of them instead of a random google site..

Thanks

beachmom said:
This is the first time we have to replace this motor.. Can I just replace the motor?

The filter is a Hayward model# S244T ..It says the filter area is 3.14 ft, is that what you meant, I am new at this, sorry..
and the elbow pipes all say 1 1/2 "

I would love any advise on what to buy.. My husband is going to install this and is great at things like this.

Also, are there any prefered vendors associated with this site? I would love to give the business to one of them instead of a random google site..

Thanks

If you join as a Lifetime Supporter there are some vendors who offer discounts. I'm not sure how competitive those vendors are on pumps as I have not priced anything like that.

I should have mentioned this before...since it was running, but whining, you might just need to replace the bearings (and pump seal). What does it do when you turn it on now? Does it hum? If it hums, remove the power to the motor and see if the shaft/impellor will turn. If it does then you may have a bad capacitor or centrifugal switch in addition to needing a bearing replacement.

beachmom said:
Can I just replace the motor?
Yes (it may cost more than doing the above repairs yourself, but should be less then replacing the whole pump), you may want to look at a 2-speed version to reduce your totally energy consumption. If your are going to do it make sure you also replace the pump seal.

THANKS! I meant to become a lifetime member a long time ago and forgot all about it. so Now I joined!

and I will wait for my husband to look at these things on the motor... Thanks

Depending on where you are you may want to look at a 2 speed.
this one has a timer and is set for 230V: https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/13495.htm

If your set up for 115V then it won't work. Changing out the motor is less expensive than the whole pump. I've used pinch-a-penny (locally) and they've matched price from online.
You can take the motor off the plumbed in section and bring it in most places will swap out the motor, mount it on the aft section. (The motor will come off the front section of the pump at the silver clamp. It will still have the impeller attached. You can bring down the aft section and swap it out.)

Replace the seal and motor. They may charge $20 for the pump seal when they replace the motor. You should replace the pump seal when you replace the motor.

I am getting pretty confused.. my husband thought it might be good to just replace the whole pump unit, fearing if we replace just the motor, then we may find something else is wrong and then it gets more complicated to fix those other things.. any thoughts on that?
Also, with the 2 speed option, could someone please explain to me what the benefit is, and if this can all be preprogrammed to run on its own at different speeds.. i don't want to have to flip a switch very often. But i would like to save $$$
Thanks again for all the help on this forum!! When we get this fixed, we now think we have a leak again in the pool...this may have caused the pump to loose it's prime and have to start up dry for a while- thus ruining it! :( So I will need help on that too, soon. It may also be a seal on the filter.... Sure wish one of you lived here in Birmingham, AL!!!

beachmom said:
I am getting pretty confused.. my husband thought it might be good to just replace the whole pump unit, fearing if we replace just the motor, then we may find something else is wrong and then it gets more complicated to fix those other things.. any thoughts on that?

If you can reach inside and turn the impeller without problems you're probably not going to need the wet side of the pump replaced other than the seal. If the motor is locked up and still connected that's not going to be a good test until the motor is pulled off the impeller.

beachmom said:
Also, with the 2 speed option, could someone please explain to me what the benefit is, and if this can all be preprogrammed to run on its own at different speeds.. i don't want to have to flip a switch very often. But i would like to save $$$

Most of this is book learning I'm spouting back at you so take with a grain of salt. As I understand things - if you go with a simple switch option you would have the pump on your existing timer operating on low speed for some number of hours. Then when you wanted more flow - for waterfall, slides, cleaners, vacuum, etc. You would simply flip the switch during that time. You typically wouldn't need to automate this as it only applies infrequently unless you have a lot of water features and prefer some automatic control.

beachmom said:
Thanks again for all the help on this forum!! When we get this fixed, we now think we have a leak again in the pool...this may have caused the pump to loose it's prime and have to start up dry for a while- thus ruining it! :( So I will need help on that too, soon. It may also be a seal on the filter....

That is an imporant thing to consider. Someone else on the forum was asking about pumps that detect a loss of prime to protect themselves - they exist. If they are worth it or not is hard to say but you might look into it. Obviously the leak needs to be fixed either way - but it would give you peace of mind. In this case you typically would need to replace the whole pump not just the motor.

beachmom said:
Sure wish one of you lived here in Birmingham, AL!!!

I'm from that area. Some of my family still lives there and we have friends in Trussville. However these days I'm about 7.5 hours drive away... I'm also not an expert on the pump stuff - not by a long shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.