Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing a Baq pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Springtown, TX

Closing a Baq pool?

I read somewhere on this site that a guy adding a big dose of the sanitizer before he closed his pool, but I cannot find it. We'll be closing our pool early October, so I'm trying to get the information early, so I'm not scurrying last minute lol.

I've never closed a pool before, so I have no idea what to expect. I'd like the keep the levels nice and high, so I'm not dealing with algae next April.

AG pool is a 7,500, 200# sand filter, 2 speed pump and Taylor kit,

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Closing a Baq pool?

You want to use a larger than usual dose of both sanitizer and algaecide right before closing. That makes sure there is nothing growing in the water when you close, and after that the cover will hopefully block enough light that nothing will get started while the pool is closed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you plan on converting to chlorine in the Spring would you still dose up the shock and sanitizer? Thanks for advice!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have discovered you can avoid algae problems by not waiting for the water to get warm before starting up. I live in the SW US and I start my pool up in mid-March. I start by putting in two gallons of oxidizer and two cups of CDX (or what is recommended for your pool.) Closing for the season I do the same. Both times I add one bottle of Natural Magic Pool Magic + Phos Free and let water circulate 24 hours before closing cover. If it is winter (which for us is Nov. 1) that's it until March, no circulation, no nothing. If it is spring, I resume the normal weekly schedule of oxidizer, CDX and Phos-Free each week. After spring start up, wait at least two weeks of normal circulation before taking a sample in for testing. Don't forget the sanitizer!
    20,000 gal. IG pool/ 400 gal. spa combo, unpainted plaster; Hayward Pro Series sand filter; Whisperflow 1.5 hp pump; Pentair Minimax pool & spa heater; Save-T Cover II Automated pool cover; Maytronic Dolphin; Dragonfly pool skimmer; Baquacil.