Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracks in Gunite - should I be worried?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracks in Gunite - should I be worried?

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of months, soaking in all the great information. Thanks to all the knowledgeable contributors - I really appreciate the time and effort to explain to us newbies all the intricacies of pool building and maintenance. We finally began our pool build on June 25th (I'll post our build photos in another thread) and gunite/shotcrete went in on August 14. On that day, the gunite subs showed me how to water the gunite, which I did at least 4 to 6 times per day. On day two, I see five cracks. When I talked to my PB, he said all concrete cracks and that they weren't structural only "hairline" so not to worry. Mind you, he has not come by to see them. The cracks all range from 6 inches to a foot and a half long. I've taken the photos with a quarter so you can have a frame of reference. Should I be worried about this? Any input will be appreciated since this is keeping me up nights. I have nightmares of the gunite shell cracking in half.

14700 gal. L-shaped IG gray plaster pool, Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Clean&Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320, Intellichlor IC40 with 6x10 shelf, two Intellibrite LED lights, solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracks in Gunite - should I be worried?

If the cracks are less than a few feet long, then that is normal, and pose no serious concerns. Remember that the underlying rebar (steel) provides a tremendous amount of structural strength. Small shrinkage cracks is normal.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cracks in Gunite - should I be worried?

Thanks, that's reassuring! I've been worried about this so much. I've been checking every day and the cracks don't seem to be getting bigger.
    14700 gal. L-shaped IG gray plaster pool, Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Clean&Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320, Intellichlor IC40 with 6x10 shelf, two Intellibrite LED lights, solar.