Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Alkalinity

What should my TA be for a non swg pool? The card that came with my test kit says between 100 and 120, and Pool School says 70-90. I had been following the card, since I see it every day but just noticed the difference while I was reviewing pool school following my third AA treatment (yes, when you let the pH drift to 7.5 the stains come back). Also, can you leave your pH between 7 and 7.2 indefinitely?? Lastly, I read on "Pool Forum" about filters you make with socks and quilt batting and attach to your returns to actually remove the metals from your water...does anyone know if this actually works?? I live in fear of needing to shock and starting the whole process all over again....
    Thanks - Michelle
    FC 4
    CC 0
    TA 100
    CH 0
    CYA 55
    28K, IG, 12'x75'x4.5', vinyl, 1.5HP Hayward pump, sand filter, heater, Connecticut

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Alkalinity

The numbers on the card make sense of you use pucks which are acidic. Using bleach, you would be better off lowering the TA so that the pH does not rise as fast.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!!!! I will lower it post haste! Michelle
    28K, IG, 12'x75'x4.5', vinyl, 1.5HP Hayward pump, sand filter, heater, Connecticut

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

filters you make with socks and quilt batting and attach to your returns to actually remove the metals from your water...does anyone know if this actually works??
    Possibly, but the only way you would know is to get your pH high enough for the metals to come out of suspension so they can stick to the filters. In doing so, the metal may just as well stick to your pool surfaces (staining) rather than getting caught in the "filter"

For that matter, your pool filter can catch the metal once it precipitates but it is a crapshoot whether it will precipitate into particles you can entrap or simply re-stain your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School