Inground pool poses huge safety concern

Aug 17, 2012
Dartmouth, MA
We bought our dream house and it's a fixer upper. It came with a massive L shaped inground pool (always wanted an inground pool) that had a sunken in loop loc cover on it that needs to be restored (tadpole paradise, yard was neglected for at least 6 yrs). Work started and after they drained the pool we got to see it for the first time. It's massive! Unfortunately the shallow part of the L is so small and then it just drops off to at least 12'! A ledge, no slope. The long part of the pool is just all deep and honestly we thought there would be a slope or there would be more shallow end (even the pool guy was surprised). Now I'm a bit heartbroken because there is no way our two young children can enjoy it and have friends over. We asked our pool guy if he could add more shallow end or create a slope and he said no. I looked up platforms but nothing for 12'+ of water. Is there no way to make this a pool kids can enjoy? The liner is due in two weeks, could our pool guy be fibbing on being able to "fix" it.

Attachments

• f1 (640x480).jpg
    f1 (640x480).jpg
    337 KB · Views: 1,101
Welcome to tfp, bluedove82 :wave:

Although that is a little bit more of an odd design, remember children grow up fast and can learn to swim like fish fast. My kids (15,11,6) would love swimming in that pool design. I can't quite see how big your shallow end is, but I assume smaller children can still use it...they should never be left unattended, so safety should not be an issue. Drowning can occur in all depths of water.

As for you question of adding more of a slope, I am not an expert on the subject, but I would guess it would be expensive (but possible) to do.

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to raise the floor, but it is a fairly large/expensive job, requiring a liner made from measurements taken after the floor is raised. The process would require removing the old liner, filling in as needed with non-compressable fill, resurfacing everywhere that was raised, and remeasuring for a new liner. Getting fill that won't settle takes some effort/cost, and the entire process could easily run over $10,000.

Our girls are four and 12 along with another on the way. :) We're going to get the girls life vest and try to net off the shallow end while teaching them to swim (the oldest has some trouble with it). They'll never go in the pool unsupervised but that shallow part is very small. Sry didn't get a great shot of it. But if we do pool parties I hate knowing that the shallow end is sooo small for the little ones and their parents. I'm guessing the designer was big into diving or didn't have young children. We were worried about the cost to restore it after the first person who saw it told us to fill it in because it's way beyond bringing back. The pool guy we have now actually tested the lines and they are all working and we're bringing it back for a little over $10,000 (a bit of an ouch because the pool reflects the condition of the house and property) and hoping that the heater works so we can get some extra use out of it before having to close it. We are sooo green to being pool people! No idea what equipment is needed if when it's we do anything with it with chemicals after it's opened...they are delivering water. But as you can tell, very green. Going to love having a backyard vacation oasis. :) I'm sure the girls will take to swimming but I wish there was something we could put in to give them more footing or even something to grab if they get tired swimming in the deep end while away from the edge.

Oh, do you know if we can add lights? Or is that going to be really expensive too?

I can't believe there is not a way to add some sort of platform. Build one from pvc and a "table top?" On a MUCH smaller scale, they exist -- you'd have to secure the sides, etc, so no-one could get trapped under, etc. What if they put a ledge midway on the walls and you could span it with something? Obviously I'm just talking out loud, and as soon as one thought comes to mind, two safety issues seem to come right to mind as well. But still, seems like it shouldn't be so tough to do. Best wishes for finding out a SAFE, cost-efficient way to get to use the pool.

I'm thinking surely some kind of sinkable (heavy enough kids positively can't lift it) could be built that rests on the botom. it would just kind of continue the shallow end. But it would have to be custom work, and not cheap!

I purchased an in ground pool off Craigslist, so my depth choices were limited. It had a 4 foot shallow end and a 10' deep end. I have kids that are 13, 6, 5, and almost 2. My best advise for you is swim lessons. Once they can swim it doesn't matter how deep it is. Our 5yo barely touches the bottom of the shallow end and loves it! They all use the diving board, and our oldest can do a 1 1/2 flip with a twist (she is also on swim team, took a couple summer diving camps, and had her coach out at our pool doing the dives with her.)

I could have made it shallower when I installed it and remade the liner, but I did not and now am very glad we kept it deep.

Our youngest will be able to swim next year. Talk to the instructors, many times they do private lessons on their own time.

How about the netting/web material used to secure cargo - sometimes you'll see a pick-up with a small version used as a tailgate.

Could a section of the stuff be stretched across the the shallow area to create a boundary/fence between the shallow and deep sections? The webbing is open enough to not interfere with water flow. Rig it so it rises above the surface.
It might be a pain if the only place to enter/egress the pool is in the shallow area, but a ladder could be added to the deep section for the adults' use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our daughter (now 8) was very nervous around water, wouldnt put her face in it or jump in even though she had swim lessons. We bought a house with a pool and after the first summer she was jumping and diving, swimming under the water down to retrieve things off the bottom that she threw in. So don't worry, even your child who is nervous will soon look like she was born in he water. A safety line separating the two areas just so people know where it drops off should be enough since there will always be supervision. Life jackets will be good at first but soon the oldest won't need it.

It may be expensive, but wouldn't it be possible to have them tear up the original vermiculite or whatever material is under the liner and reform it in the existing structure? That way its designed like most standard L shaped pools.

nb5340_thumb.jpg
inground_pool_index.jpg

0.jpg

Extend the shallow end all the way to the other side of the pool. Then in the L shape they can slope it down to 8' or 12' or whatever it is they wanted.

My kids would be thrilled with that pool. They would ask me to put a diving board at both ends and a slide in the middle! If you and your significant other can swim and have no worries then lessons for the kids should take care of everything. My 8 yr old laments our 5' 8" depth and enjoys swimming in deep 12' pools immensely.

The extra depth will help if the ever learn to dive - reducing concerns over hitting the bottom.

If you did want to change things the idea earlier of leveling the shallow across the pool might be the best but you need to account for any returns and drains before heading down that path. If you are handy you might be able to do some of the work.

Thank you for your ideas. It really seems there is something you can do whether it's add something or change the design. We don't want to go into debt doing it and also void the liner warranty by securing something. So this is a pain. I understand teaching our girls to swim better but I keep picturing pool parties gone wrong because the shallow section is so small. Would have always put in an L shaped pool but more the traditional kind. I agree on the diving but have a four year old and a baby on the way....would like more shallow end. :(

Attachments

• 047 (640x480).jpg
    047 (640x480).jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 947
linen said:
Yeah the shallow end is not bad for the little ones, and you have a slide!

Unfortunately the slide goes into the deep end. :( The picture doesn't it show it well enough because of the liner bubbled out but that's 12'+drop. I would love for that to be shallow for the kids.

Anyone have suggestions on the best life vest?

That floating mat is pretty cool. See, you can't find things like without help :)

Oh another question! Are automatic covers safe?? Just wondering.

I understand the concerns about the size of the deep end. Ours is all one depth being a round above ground and I thought my son would never be able to touch the bottom when we installed it. He wore a life vest the first year all the time, the second year most of the time and only once this year. He only wore it as long as he did because of a concerned mommy... :oops: He would have shed the thing the second season had I let him. He touches on his tippy toes this year and is so fluent in the water now, he has been to swimming lessons every year since we installed the pool. You will be surprised how quickly they learn. Teaching them water safety and rules is to me the biggest concern and has to be taught no matter the depth.

I would think that you could somehow find some way to safely isolate the shallow end for casual kid use when you don't want them venturing into the deeper end.... like when you aren't planning on swimming or if you give them some free time in the shallow area w/o a life vest. The idea of mesh sounds like a good idea to me... not sure where to tell you to find it.

You could probably find a way to shallow up part of the pool, but likely it would be an expensive undertaking unless you have some really handy friends. If there are floor drains, and usually their are, that would be something that would have to be changed. Plus, if you've already ordered a liner, it wouldn't work and would have to be re-ordered.

Life vests are pretty well regulated as far as safety issues go... more a preference thing. I like the ones with the extra bit of floating material at the back off of their shoulders for the younger ones... helps them float more upright in the water until they get a little more used to it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.