Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How warm is too warm pool water???

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

How warm is too warm pool water???

Hit 90 degrees in the pool today for the first time with the aid of the solar system. I had the solar a bit high, so I bumped it down to 85 at 3pm today. Yesterday the pool was a cool 81. I decided 90 is just too warm.. I like 82-88 myself. Now 82 degree water seems almost too cold... Getting close to using the solar at night to cool down the pool....
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina
    Yep, 90 is too warm!

86 ish is purrrrrfect!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Miami, FL
    For us - 84 feels cool, 85 is slightly warm and 86 is about the max.

Miami, FL
    18,000 gallon 17 x 35 in-ground diamond brite, Fafco solar, SWG, Barracuda G3, well pump - Biscayne Aquifer CH=250

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA
    This is definitely a question of personal preference. I like 88F water as my ideal -- I can walk in the water without any shiver and stay in it as long as I like. Of course, it's not great if you do a reasonable amount of exercise (swimming or activity), but for lounging around or only a little swimming it's great for me. My wife also prefers around 87-88 as she does mostly therapy exercise and needs to be in the water for around 45-90 minutes. I agree that 90F starts to feel like a bath and too warm. I'm also pretty skinny and have been underweight all of my life.

16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

Valrico, FL
    I had my system set at 90 also. We liked the warmer water for swimming in the evenings. However with the warmer days, I have lower the temp to 86. I still have the"spa" (therapy jets) set to 100, so when I turn them on during the day, the solar heater comes on, and I have warm water jets!
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

7. Back To Top    #7
    78 is what my water is at now and its AWSOME. i wish it would stay thatway. its chilly to get in, but once your in, ITS PERFECT.

in the summer my pool will get up wards of 90 and we have to stay out becuase thats too warm, thankfully the ocean stays at a nice 85.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I like mine around 86-88.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)
    82-88 is good, but it largely depends on the outside temperature. If it's cool outside, I like 88, but if it's very hot outside, cooler is better. It's been just over 90 here the past couple of days, but the water is still around 85 so it's very refreshing. Unfortunatley, it doesn't usually work that way.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.