New Pool in MA coming Soon

Funny you say that about the stamped concrete.
Our first pool had stamped and I hated it the first year. Slippery as heck and kids just don't listen when you tell them it is slippery.

Fast forward 10 years and into the new house...

Yep, we went with stamped again and it is slippery as heck again.

Soon the sealer will wear off and it will get lighter.
It is not slippery once the sealer wears off and in your case will be lighter and cooler.

I didn't seal my last deck for 8+ years and it looked great and wasn't slippery.
A non-sealed stamped concrete deck blows away a non-sealed regular concrete deck. Appearance wise...imho

I'll have to look into that. Considering my wife is highly allergic to any oil based paints and stains (ironic that she is an art teacher!) I'm sure she would prefer water based if we ever have it sealed again. In my experiences using water based products, they don't last nearly as long but that might be ok for this application since it may fix the slippery aspect as well as keep my wife from having to stay away for several days.

Spoke to my PB today about a few items and was hoping to get people's opinions here

1. I have some settling of the vermiculite under the liner so a few areas have dips. I asked my PB if he can come out to take a look to make sure the liner would be OK and he said not to worry about it as he will fix it for me. I assume this means draining the water, pulling it out and fixing.....should I do that or just leave it?? Pool is not leaking....is my PB just being overly nice or should I just let him do it?

2. I need to order a safety cover and was going to have my PB order and install it for me. Since my pool is shaped, is this the best road to take or should I save money and try and order one myself? I see lots of rectangle ones I can buy but when looking to order a custom shape, the companies seem to want specifics on sizes and I am concerned that I screw up and order the wrong size...thoughts??

Thanks!

Nice looking pool. Kind of curious though...Without rebar in the concrete, how did they establish a bonding grid for the deck? This is something your inspector should have signed off on before the concrete went in.

From what my concrete guy told me, they used fiber concrete. I guess rebar is not "required" as the fiber is supposed to take the place. Feedback seems mixed on whether or not fiber concrete actually works but it is what it is right now. Deck is in......

Let me add, he used 5000psi fiber mesh cement. So.....guess I will keep my fingers crossed that it holds up. Of course, since I hate how slippery it is and how hot it gets......maybe I'll budget for a replacement patio in a few years. Lol!!

Dips in the liner? Where? You had concrete floors poured, so it must be on slopes eh?
If it were me, I'd have it fixed at end of season. Unless it is a threat to the integrity of the liner.

For the Safety Cover....why not order a rectangle big enough to cover your pool?
Seems like it would be much easier to install those anchors in straight formation than with curves.

If it were me and I could get the cover and install it myself for $1k or more cheaper than having someone do it, then I'd do it myself.
Save less than $1k, then I'd have them do it. Not worth the struggle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, dips in the slants where vermiculite was used. Not the floors. My PB said he'd fix in the fall so he is in line with your recommendation.

Thanks for the tip on using a rectangle. I'd possibly forgo the look of the fitted cover if it saves me a lot. At this point I feel like I bought a second home with what I've spent!

Had my pool closed for the first time last week. It was a great first season and was able to learn the pool chemistry to keep the water clean all season. Mostly used bleach but at times used Trichlor pucks when I needed to bring the CYA levels up. We had a lot of rain that caused me to drain the pool a few times so guessing that caused my CYA levels to drop at times. For my cover, I went with a custom size safety cover from Loop Loc and had my PB do the install. Expensive but I got to watch the entire closing process so I now know what's involved. Can't wait for next season. I already miss swimming. Still have landscaping stuff to get done but generally speaking, the pool area in 99% complete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.