Water in light conduit in winter?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
My understanding is that my light niche electrical conduits will have water in them... and since they do not get blown out when winterizing, how is it that they don't freeze and crack over time, causing water to leak from the pool?

I was going to run some of my light niche electrical conduit straight to the pad since a few lighted bubblers and one pool light are < 40 feet from pad... but now am reconsidering because they will be in the plumbing trench that will not be below the frost line... and will not be blown out.

Am I missing something here?

I believe that the conduit needs to come up above the ground at a certain distance away from the pool. Thsi means that the water in the conduit is always level with the surface of the pool. When you lower the water level to winterize, then the water level in the conduit will drop.

I should add that my pool was built this way. I have a junction box (about 10 feet) behind the light. That is where the ligh conduit comes up above ground and then goes to the panel.

This is a good question. My PB doesn't winterize his pool, just keeps it circulating. I had already asked him how this effects the autofill but I never thought about the light conduit. I'll have to see what he says about it.

I asked him about it and he just didn't think there was any freeze risk. He doesn't do anything with his, never had problems with any. I guess you could see what Pentair has to say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.