Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water in light conduit in winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water in light conduit in winter?

My understanding is that my light niche electrical conduits will have water in them... and since they do not get blown out when winterizing, how is it that they don't freeze and crack over time, causing water to leak from the pool?

I was going to run some of my light niche electrical conduit straight to the pad since a few lighted bubblers and one pool light are < 40 feet from pad... but now am reconsidering because they will be in the plumbing trench that will not be below the frost line... and will not be blown out.

Am I missing something here?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water in light conduit in winter?

I believe that the conduit needs to come up above the ground at a certain distance away from the pool. Thsi means that the water in the conduit is always level with the surface of the pool. When you lower the water level to winterize, then the water level in the conduit will drop.

I should add that my pool was built this way. I have a junction box (about 10 feet) behind the light. That is where the ligh conduit comes up above ground and then goes to the panel.
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a good question. My PB doesn't winterize his pool, just keeps it circulating. I had already asked him how this effects the autofill but I never thought about the light conduit. I'll have to see what he says about it.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you find an answer on this? I'm wondering the same thing. The suction/return lines will be blown out, but what about the water in the conduit over the winter
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl Pool. Free-form kidney with swim out beach area. Jandy Filter/Pump/Heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I asked him about it and he just didn't think there was any freeze risk. He doesn't do anything with his, never had problems with any. I guess you could see what Pentair has to say.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The water is not restricted so it will expand in the path of least resistance. This is not something to be concerned about.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!