Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Liner is bumpy due to a poor installation and hard to clean

Liner is bumpy due to a poor installation and hard to clean

Does anyone have any suggestions on a pool cleaner that I could use that would clean my pool that has a bumpy liner. I have to get in the pool to clean it because of all of the bumps. It is difficult on me because I have neck issues. We had the worst pool people ever to install the pool. We did not know about the bottom until after we had paid the people and it was warm enough to get in. Are there any automatic cleaners or vacuums that would help me?
    Thanks!!!!!

Re: Liner is bumpy due to a poor installation and hard to cl

Welcome to TFP.

Tell us more about your pool? Without more info we can't recommend anything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The pool is above ground and 24 foot around. The person that installed it was in the pool stretching the liner. That caused many bumps on the bottom. We are first time pool owners and did not know that when installing the liner the person should not be in there to move the liner like that. We were very upset but did not go back to the pool people because we had had enough. It was horrible!

Being in the pool to finish stretching the liner is standard procedure, they may have done a poor job but just because they were in there to finish getting it in place doesn't imply improper installation.
    They may have done a bad job but bumps in the bottom, which dirt will inevitably settle into, is simply part of a typical above ground pool.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Most if not all of the pool cleaners require a smooth surface to work properly. The best solution is to wait till the off season, drain the pool, remove the liner and smooth out the bottom of the pool. I had to do this years ago to a 12x24 AGP after moles got under the liner.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

I'm a first time pool owner. This is what I did when we put I our pool up. I got some 3/4" foam board and laid it over my base and duct tape the seams. Now I wish I would have put a tarp or foam vapor barrier over the foam board. The liner is starting to show the foam board seams. Other than that the pool has a great flat and smooth base. It was vary easy to do cost was about 130.00. My pool is 15x30. You do need to make sure that you adjust the base thickness to allow for the foam board.