Am I dreaming!! Somebody pinch me!

May 15, 2012
BBB Method...

Can it be this easy!!?? My pool says so!!! We have been up and running since a bit before July.

I have been following the BBB method since day one. Pool has always looked amazing! Thanks to trouble free pool and all the wonderful members here.
I had to post this picture up because I added my borates 2 days ago and the pool looks amazing! Can you tell I'm excited! :party:

Well, I got the muriatic acid in, got the borates in via 3 1/2 boxes of borax. The calculator says 3.9 boxes and that is a bit closer to what I added but I did cut it shy because I only had enough money in my budget to get the one concentrated jug of acid. It may have been a little less than one gallon though, i think it said 98 oz of 31.45% so my plan was less borax, let everything settle down and then adjust accordingly. Well, the borate test strips managed to not get in the bag at checkout... at least I didnt pay for them either. So until I can make it back to the store I cant check the borates. I am not too concerned about that for right now since I followed what the calculator said.

I assumed I was in the clear because of my test results, what do you all think? These are post borate addition results

FC: 5+
cc: 0
TC: 5+
PH: 7.8
TA: 90+
CH: 160
CYA: 40
Borates: ?? (but my water rocks!!!)

I add about 1 cup or less of 10% bleach a day (in the evening) to maintain the 5+ FC. I have to admit that I have never done an over night loss test.

Thanks again to eveyone!

I feel the exact same way. I've always heard of people giving up on having a pool because it was SOOOO much work...truthfully kinda had me scared when I ordered my pool. Now two months into it i've never once had a problem, only add a little acid here and there, let the SWG maintain the chlorine. Just bought some borax to start the next step now that I have gotten my TA down to acceptable range.

So as Magtiki said, thanks everyone!

I wouldn't worry about testing for borate level. The strips aren't that accurate and anywhere between about 45 and 70 ppm will do just fine. I would just add borates based on the Pool Calculator, recommendations for 50ppm and call it a day.

chiefwej said:
........The strips aren't that accurate........... add borates based on the Pool Calculator...... and call it a day.

what do you guys do say at the beginning of the next swimming season, thats when it is recommended to check and adjust? Are the strips accurate enough to use to calculate adjustments or is there another / better way to test borates?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.