Newbie from Thorndale Ontario Canada

Jul 22, 2012
Hello everyone.
My name is Alicia and we've just had an inground pool installed. It's been up and running since July 30 and I just got my TF100 test kit 2 days ago.
I stumbled upon this site before our pool was finished THANK GOD!! and was ready for the vultures at the pool store when the pool was complete and I needed to start taking care of it. If I hadn't known what I needed (or didn't need) when I walked in, they would have sold me $200+ of every fancy named chemical under the sun to start things up but I had the satisfaction of telling them to stuff it and just bought the chlorine and stabilizer. Of course they only sell the crappy test kits so I figured out a way to get one of the TF100 here without having to order it and pay through the nose with the company that supplies them here in Canada (so much more $ here) My brother works in the U.S. but lives in Windsor, ON so I actually had him order it for me and get it shipped to his work and then he brought it across and sent it home with my mom who lives near me but was down for the weekend visiting them, who then brought it out to me the next day. It's changed hands many times to get to me but it's SO worth it. LOL
I was pretty nervous without testing for the couple of weeks it took to get my kit so I had the pool store do it and just ignored their advice. Pool water looks great and after using my test kit for the past few days I'm confident things will stay that way. (I'll post my results with questions in the right area)
As a complete newbie, I'm pretty nervous about everything still though. I forgot what the installer showed me about vacuuming so I even had to search how to properly set up and use my vacuum for the first time as I was so nervous I was going to break something. The guy that installed our pool did a top quality job but he's just a simple kind of guy that knows how to build quality pools and do amazing concrete but doesn't have the huge overhead of a design team and service team for after install care but that literally saved us thousands and thousands of dollars so I'm perfectly happy doing the research on how to take care of it myself. This site is so invaluable for that, I'm learning fast.
Well, I have some questions to put my mind at ease so I'll mosey on over to another area to post them.
Looking forward to getting to know you all better. :cheers: