Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to Fix your Jandy PDA for $15

1. Back To Top    #1

How to Fix your Jandy PDA for $15

My Jandy PDA is 5 years old. It started having problems about a year ago when the "Select" button partially detached from the silicone membrane causing us to have to pick it up with a fingernail every time we needed to press it. More recently the other buttons became unresponsive and/or double triggered. When the "Back" button died completely the PDA became essentially unusable.

Since the PDA is the only means of controlling my pool I had no choice but to replace it. With new PDAs going for $300 I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to fix the old one. The results were better than expected, and the PDA now works as good as new. Total cost was about $15 which is a heck of lot less than a new PDA.

Here's what I did:

1) Open the PDA.

At first glance the PDA looks pretty impenetrable with its overmolded rubber housing, but actually, the front panel comes off fairly easily. The idea is to pull the rubber away from the edge just enough to get a screwdriver or spudger tool under the lip. To make this easier use a heat gun on the lowest setting to soften the rubber (don't overdo it). Once you've created enough clearance, use your tool to carefully pull up on the edge of the top cover. With steady pressure the top will begin to release.

The rubber tends to have a memory, so try to deform it as little as possible. You will thank yourself when you put it back together.

Once it starts to let go, slide your finger along the edge to carefully release the top from the housing. There are no wires connecting the top to the guts, basically it's just the silicone keys and the clear display window.

The hard part is done.

2) Remove the membrane.

Remove the six small Philips screws on the black plastic retaining bracket and remove. It may not come off easily, since the little alignment pins tend to get stuck. One of my pins broke off which was no big deal since the six screws are sufficient to hold the bracket in position.

3) Repair the buttons.

First I needed to reattach the "Select" button. I used Loctite Plastics Bonding System which is a two part system.

Apply the activator to the mating surfaces, let dry for 60 seconds, the apply the super glue sparingly. As always when using super glue make sure the parts are lined up correctly before making contact.

While everything was apart I noticed a few of the other buttons were deteriorating, so I glued them too.

4) Restore the contacts.

When a button is pressed, a carbon pad on the underside of the button makes contact with the corresponding set of traces on the circuit board, which triggers the controller circuit in the PDA. After a time the carbon breaks down and no longer makes good contact, and that's when you get dead buttons, double triggers etc.

First, carefully clean the gold fingers (circled in red) with a cotton swab and pure acetone. Don't use nail polish remover, get the good stuff from a paint store or home center. Let dry completely. Repeat. If you have a compressor a gentle blast of air won't hurt.

After doing a bit of research I decided to use "Keypad Fix" to restore the carbon contacts. $8.99 shipped from Amazon. You get a little jar which is enough to fix probably hundreds of these buttons. It also works on TV remotes, phones, calculators, computer keyboards - any device that uses rubber membrane technology.

To use "Keypad Fix" just follow the directions. Clean the pads (circled in red) gently with isopropyl alcohol on a swab and let dry. Stir "Keypad Fix" well, then apply a thin coat with a swab. Make sure no strands of fiber remain on any pad. Let dry overnight. Done.

5) Reassemble and test.

Reassemble the keypad. Don't over tighten the six screws as they will strip easily if you're not careful. Replace the top cover on the housing and press it into place. Power up the PDA and do a function check. Enjoy the 285 bucks you just saved. Happy swimming!

Last edited by patpend; 08-22-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Fixed image links

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to Fix your Jandy PDA for $15

Thanks for sharing. I had my PDA replaced under warranty since the light went out. However, I can see how the buttons will wearout over time. Great Fix!!
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls

3. Back To Top    #3

Great info, and awesome to see you fix your stuff instead of throwing it away. I've always wondered how to fix these touch buttons, so this is really useful.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Starplex
    Thanks for sharing. I had my PDA replaced under warranty since the light went out. However, I can see how the buttons will wearout over time. Great Fix!!
    If only there was a fix for this, mine went out out of warranty. Always wondered how to get the darn thing open.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Update: two years later, the 'select' button is starting to come loose again and needs re-gluing. Other than that the PDA is still going strong.

6. Back To Top    #6

is it still waterproof after doing this?
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Could assemble using silicone to make it waterproof once the halves are sandwiched together but would be tough to get back into it no doubt.

While I have this jandy PDA I find that I don't use it as much as my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone which is water-resistant and use this to control my Jandy automation though an iAqualink phone app poolside.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

That could be useful, but you need the aqualink interface to go with it. Not even sure if the system at my potential new home can be upgraded to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post
    Could assemble using silicone to make it waterproof once the halves are sandwiched together but would be tough to get back into it no doubt.

While I have this jandy PDA I find that I don't use it as much as my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone which is water-resistant and use this to control my Jandy automation though an iAqualink phone app poolside.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you know of any software tools that run on a windows phone or iphone? My wife just dropped the pda today and broke the screen.

better yet, does anyone know hoe to fix a broken screen?

Quote Originally Posted by jv92red View Post

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    That could be useful, but you need the aqualink interface to go with it. Not even sure if the system at my potential new home can be upgraded to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursivesearch View Post
    Do you know of any software tools that run on a windows phone or iphone?
    Autelis make a PDA interface for mobile devices. If you upgrade your Aqualink firmware to ver. MMM which requires a chip only (not an entire new board) you can use the full Autelis interface and get more functionality, better speed and home automation capability. http://www.autelis.com/homeautomation/pool-spa.html