Why does this always happen when I am out of town???

Jun 4, 2012
OK, I am traveling this week for work. We have had the tub for 2 months....use the Taylor kit for testing. Used Dichlor, then clorox....add Dichlor about once a month....Clorox after each use, etc....

Anyway, hubby called me today and said: " you have a 3 inch line of slimey brown junk around the water line.....yuk!!!" He said the water was still very clear...no odor.

OK, what has been different over the past few days? Grandson and I spent 2 hours in the tub on Saturday nite....I threatened him that the water would turn pink if he peed the tub....he swore that he didn't. Next, lovely daughter used the tub on Monday night for about an hour...she did not add the Clorox after her time in the tub...which I always do. BTW, she uses all kinds of lotions and body creams.... Hubby adds Clorox every evening and runs the jets for 45 minutes when I am out of town.

Didn't I read on here somewhere that the slimey, stickey junk is evidence of the chemicals breaking down what needs to be broken down??

I instructed hubby ( which he hates when I start 'instructing') to: take paper towels and wipe the crud off; wash the filter; go ahead and add a a dose of Dichlor....

Now, I have a bottle of clarifier...would that help? Or can this wait until I get home on Saturday??

I suspect it's the lotions and body creams since they tend to float on the water and then stick to spa surfaces. Just wipe them off. For the future, if this becomes a regular occurrence, consider using either a scum ball or an enzyme product.

Good Morning, Chem"

Well, we drained the tub.....I cleaned the entire surface with a vinegar/water mixture....redrained, tested the water, and will begin the Diclor/bleach routine, again. The water has been perfect until this past week. I think you are correct....lotions, creams, etc. Dear daughter will not soak again without showering first. I remember this crud as frequent when I used the Bacquaspa before. SO now if they just get my MP3 hook-up fixed, I am all set. They sent an entire new sub-woofer etc to replace what is there....of course, this wil the third system to go in.

BTW, is there any good sense of using some type of polish/wax prior to refill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.