Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diamondbrite vs regular plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Diamondbrite vs regular plaster

Folks,
    The builder is quoting me $3800 up charge for the Diamond brite plaster finish versus regular plaster. PebbleTEC is $9800 upcharge which is well outside of my budget. (Pool size is 16x32 rectangular).

First off, are these costs way too high?

Second, is there really an advantage on going Diamondrbite vs. regular plaster? Will it give me better durability and longivity? From my understanding regular plaster is based on marble where is diamnd brite is based on quartz. Is that right?

Thanks
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Diamondbrite vs regular plaster

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1
    Folks,
    The builder is quoting me $3800 up charge for the Diamond brite plaster finish versus regular plaster. PebbleTEC is $9800 upcharge which is well outside of my budget. (Pool size is 16x32 rectangular).

First off, are these costs way too high?

Second, is there really an advantage on going Diamondrbite vs. regular plaster? Will it give me better durability and longivity? From my understanding regular plaster is based on marble where is diamnd brite is based on quartz. Is that right?

Thanks
    Both upcharges seem excessive to me, however there is little doubt that the aggregate finishes are far more desirable in the long run.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

My DB upcharge was around $2000. Yes, it's worth it in my opinion.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Diamond Brite uses small quartz bits mixed into regular plaster. So, while there is plenty of quartz in the mix, I wouldn't call it quartz based as there is plenty of regular plaster (without any quartz) involved.

Those prices are reasonable, though it is often possible to do better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Great, thank you for the feedback folks. The pricing does sounds high to me as well, highest i got from any builder. This particular builder is not the cheapest overall though but has good ratings.

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

My PB would have charged $4200 for upgrade to Pebble Tec for a similar sized pool. We opted for the smoother finish of Pebble Fina to lessen the chance of skin abrasions for the young 'uns and elderly. That was $2800 extra. This for prices quoted 2 years ago, with actual build in Dec 2010.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure where you are at, but to put it in perspective I paid $4,800 total not up-charge (I subbed out the tile, coping, and plaster) for Diamond Brite on a 18x36 last summer. Very happy with the finish!
    24000 Gallon Cool Blue Diamond Brite, 1HP Pentair Whisperflo, Hayward DE, Polaris 380 Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

So we did ended up doing the Diamond Brite (perl) finish. Turned out beautiful. But it is most definitely a much more abrasive finish then then just the regular plaster. Overall, we're very happy with the finish.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good for you. It is a good upgrade from plaster and will last a whole lot longer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem