I'm a first time home owner and I have an 11 x 22 x 4.5 above ground dough boy pool (Aprox 7500 gal). According to my neighbors, the previous tenants did nothing to their pool but add bleach every once in a while and it was nasty green all year.
This whole summer I have been dumping HUNDREDS of dollars worth of chemicals thanks to a pool store "conviently" located a half mile away from me. I have had sporadic, brief moments of somewhat clear water, but within 36 hours, the pool looks like green tea all over again. I think that I have purchased the whole stores worth of algicide!
Well, after spending a little time on this site, I have come to the (obvious to most of you) conclusion that I have not shocked my pool nearly enough. The pool store does free tests, but they have never once talked to me about the CYA/FC relationship and I'm sure that's what has been screwing things up.
My pool levels as of the 14th: (I'll do another test later today)
Total Alk: 112
Adj. Alk: 89
The pool store employees had me thinking that the algae was going to be killed quickly when we did a test last week and my FC was at 6! It is now obvious that they might be a little wrong and I'm not going to be killing any algae with these stats. So......
After reading posts about how it's just as effective and much cheaper to use clorox bleach (???), the pool calculator says that I should be adding 397oz of bleach to get my shock level up to 28 (considering a CYA of 75) in my 7500 gallon pool. Is it safe to add that much at once? It sounds like a lot of chlorine and bleach to be adding at once.
Please advise on if I'm heading down the right path. And for clarity sake, once my FC is up in the 20's (I can't believe how high that sounds), it needs to CONSTANTLY stay there until the pool is clear?
Thanks everyone. I'll post pics either later today or tomorrow.