Pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
Split from this topic for better response. Bama

I going to try new gasket as well.
Quick question, wouldn't the test where you turn off pump and watch for squirts, if there is not any at jandy valve wouldn't that rule that out?

Re: pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

My last pump squirted water all over the place from the pump basket lid when you turned it off. Never sucked in air when the pump was running. So the squirt test is obviously not always accurate.

Re: pump is losing prime when jandy valve is on skimmer

Put new gaskets on jandy valve, will not raise above 3 psi! lowflow from spa jets.
water level is good, when put my hand over 1 of 2 holes in skimmer, there is good suction, so wouldn't that rule out a bad pump?
I cleaned cartridges, lubed gasket, put silicone on jonts just in case.
Dont the check valves fail open, so thsts not it.

I can see pump basket, water is about half way, sounds as if it almost fills but does not, i lubed new gasket

there are 2 other jandy valves, but are after the heater, filter, so thats not the suction side, should i open anyways.

We appreciate any help, hey thanks

So it looks ok right? i even tryed it without check valve installed, still zero pressure. I have great suction at skimmer, so pump is ok right? im stummpd :hammer:

[youtube:1k1u2jbs]YHMo4ZC2w8g[/youtube:1k1u2jbs]

Since the pump basket isn't filling up with water you most likely have a suction side leak somewhere.
Are you getting air in the filter and/or out of the returns?

Is this happening on both pool and spa?

Are you sure the pressure gauge is good?

Lets start with the basics.
Is the skimmer creating a vortex sucking in air?
Is the water level high enough on the skimmer?
Is the skimmer weir operating freely?
Have you cleaned and lubed the pump strainer basket lid and o-ring?
Have you resealed the pump drain plugs?
Have you ran water over all the fitting on the suction side to see if the basket fills up when you're doing it?

Answer those and we'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

-Are you getting air in the filter and/or out of the returns?
I dont think so because as you see in video, no air or water comes out when i turn valve to bleed.

-Is this happening on both pool and spa?
yes, no pressure with returns on either.

-Are you sure the pressure gauge is good?
Yes, 2 weeks old, threads on old one were a little stripped(shot out once when i tryed to bleed, scared the heck outa me. I think filter shell is a little stripped too, the threads where the psi gauge goes, could this be the problem?)

Lets start with the basics.
-Is the skimmer creating a vortex sucking in air?
Nope.
Is the water level high enough on the skimmer?
Yes, a hair above middle.
-Is the skimmer weir operating freely?
n/a its missing.

-Have you cleaned and lubed the pump strainer basket lid and o-ring?
Yes, a lot.
-Have you resealed the pump drain plugs?
Not surewhat you mean... There is only one plug and i cheked, seems ok.
see video.

-Have you ran water over all the fitting on the suction side to see if the basket fills up when you're doing it?
yes, even put silocone over joints.

Any ideas? thanks

[youtube:1w2hqwkf]hCAqWYuaimM[/youtube:1w2hqwkf]

Something else to consider, do you get a lot of debris in your pump basket strainer? If you do, and the debris sometimes falls back into the basket housing when you remove to empty the basket strainer, this debris can gradually build up and plug the pump impeller.

You might consider removing the band clamp that goes around the pump impeller casing. Then separate the casing and examine the center/suction of the pump impeller. If it is plugged, use needle nose pliers to remove the debris. Reassemble, making sure gasket is in place, fill with water via basket strainer, and give it a try.

I have to do this at least once each season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ned thanks! i always wondered if i should remove that clamp, most other pumps do not have this correct? they have like a bolt pattern?

I tryed the garden hose with a towel already but Ill try tomorrow, thanks

Got it!!! We separated pump, there was a bunch of small seeds or nuts from neighbors tree stuck in there.
very small hole/crack in pump basket, i replaced with new, should i use a sock?
I used a ground wire to pry them out.
PSI is at 25 and good flow to all returns.
Thanks guys! my face is starting to hurt because i cant stop smiling lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.