Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which test kit?

Hi,

I jumped into pool ownership late in the season this year. We got an 18'x48" easy set, I figured it would be good for me to practice pool maintenance on; as well as give the kids a couple years to get taller before we switch to a deeper hard side pool.

I've learned a lot here that is helping me plan to be ready for next year. Two things I know I need to do heading into next year are to upgrade to a sand filter and get a better test kit.

So my question on the test kit is; TF-100 or K-2006? Our water supply has a very high TA (290 ish from the tap), so that is something I will definitely need to be able to monitor and adjust. Should I lean towards the K-2006 since it includes the acid demand test, or can I do what I need to with the TF-100? I'm leaning towards the TF-100 because of the association with the forum, but I've also seen people ask for acid demand results dealing with TA.

Thanks, Josh
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which test kit?

There is really no need for acid demand when you have ph and TA results (and borate levels...if you are using borates). Basically, the acid demand is not as informative as knowing those other parameters...i.e. a poor substitute.

I would vote (and have bought) for the TF-100, it really is the most bang for buck (most reagent volume) and Dave has fast shipping.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oops, I forgot...Welcome to tfp, jcp
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Linen,

Thanks for the reply. I went back to the pool calculator and see that it is quite simple to figure out with the ph and TA entered in.

Another question in regards to lowering TA. Is it ok to add the amount of acid required to lower the ph to 7.0; even if it exceeds the maximum amount per application recommended on the acid container?
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

We recommend you lower the pH to between 7.0 and 7.2 while trying to lower the TA (I assume you have seen the article in pool school?).

It is fine to add any amount you need by pouring slowing in front of a pool return. You may want to start out with a little less to make sure you do not lower the pH too much at first.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, I got the 7.0 ph figure from Pool School.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the TF100 and the Speedstir. The Speedstir makes testing alot easier and fun, too!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

You can do acid/base demand with TF-100 - you do need more reagents however:

extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206394
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought the K-2006 last week and wished I would have gotten the TF 100 I already had to order new reagents for FC and CYA (I was in the shocking process and alot of FC reagent)
    I did order them from the TFTest site. The shipping was super fast.
    14500k inground, vinyl, built in 2007
    Hayward Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, AquaCal electric heat pump
    Taylor K 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, I'm going with the TF-100 and the Speedstir.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jcp
    Hi,

I jumped into pool ownership late in the season this year. We got an 18'x48" easy set, I figured it would be good for me to practice pool maintenance on; as well as give the kids a couple years to get taller before we switch to a deeper hard side pool.

I've learned a lot here that is helping me plan to be ready for next year. Two things I know I need to do heading into next year are to upgrade to a sand filter and get a better test kit.

So my question on the test kit is; TF-100 or K-2006? Our water supply has a very high TA (290 ish from the tap), so that is something I will definitely need to be able to monitor and adjust. Should I lean towards the K-2006 since it includes the acid demand test, or can I do what I need to with the TF-100? I'm leaning towards the TF-100 because of the association with the forum, but I've also seen people ask for acid demand results dealing with TA.

Thanks, Josh
    I have the K2006 and I really like the acid demand test. It is really helpful to know how many ounces of acid I need when the color is off the charts.

For volumes I just buy the 2 ounce taylor replacements
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by march2012
    I have the K2006 and I really like the acid demand test. It is really helpful to know how many ounces of acid I need when the color is off the charts.

Do you just refill the existing smaller bottles so you can store the kit the same way?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Quote Originally Posted by march2012

Do you just refill the existing smaller bottles so you can store the kit the same way?
    Yeah, the tips just come off
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating