Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building a deck. Terminate above ? or under the seat ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Building a deck. Terminate above ? or under the seat ?

Im gonna be building a small deck next to my ABG pool, the question is , shall I go above or under the seat with the decking boards ? what are the pros / cons of both ways of doing that ?

Thank you,
    13k Gal all resin St tropez ABG
    Clean and Clear Pentair filter
    1hp 2 speed hayward matrix pump
    CompuPool CPSC36 SWG
    Build 7/15/12

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Building a deck. Terminate above ? or under the seat ?

It's done both ways and there are arguments both ways. I went under the rail an like it. Others like that they did over the rail.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

Re: Building a deck. Terminate above ? or under the seat ?

A third option is even with rails, that's what I did.
    Does your rail rotate (flip back) or come straight off, mine rotates so under the deck needs enough space to swivel.
    I like the under the rail look but we were concerned with the potential for people tripping, last summer our then 5 year old was running to jump in the pool and slid at the last second, our deck is even with the rail so she just slid in to my waiting arms so no harm done, if the deck was under the rail she would have hit the side and took a header.

Either way, there's pros/cons to each method, just go with what you like.
    If you go over the rail make sure you have a way to get the pool rails off if required.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list