Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stagger pump run times ? or one long run ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stagger pump run times ? or one long run ?

just wondering --I have a heyward 2 speed pump. I run it on low for 12 hours straight.
    I put it on high when I add chemicals or vacuum.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you run your pump multiple times a day or just one lo

I run mine from 8 pm to 6 am just one shot......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Stagger pump run times ? or one long run ?

I think your going to get about as many different answers to that question as there are people on this forum. I personally have a single speed pump that I run from 10 AM until 8 PM. I choose that time because that's when my family and friends will be using it the most and when I feel its most important to circulate the water.

The amount of actual run time varies from pool to pool. For me 10 hours keeps my pool looking the best.
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni
    I think your going to get about as many different answers to that question as there are people on this forum. I personally have a single speed pump that I run from 10 AM until 8 PM. I choose that time because that's when my family and friends will be using it the most and when I feel its most important to circulate the water.

The amount of actual run time varies from pool to pool. For me 10 hours keeps my pool looking the best.
    What he said.

I have a single speed pump and run it from 9:00am-6pm. These are the hours my pool receives the most direct sunlight. If I have people over for a later swim, I usually just turn the pump back on for a few hours until all the swimming is done.
    Pump Run Time from Pool School.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Dittos

Single speed pump that I run from 10am-7pm, but this is mainly due to new solar panels this year.
    I also have a timer so I play a bit with the run times, right now it comes on at 2:30am-3:00am just to give it a stir, without the timer I wouldn't worry about that but since I can do it, I do.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

There are some advantages to running at multiple times ... should better keep the surface skimmed before anything can sink. Makes sure the water stays mixed.

Generally running during the day is slightly better than at night to keep the chlorine circulated, but if your electric is cheaper at night ... then that quickly outweighs the advantage of running in the day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I've done it both ways.

When I first took over the pool it was running 14 hours a day which I bumped up during a minor algae outbreak to 22hrs/day (I didn't know how to take the timer out of the equation then!) These days I have the pump set to run three 2-3 hour times a day spaced out evenly around the clock.

EDIT: I cannot say if this is better or worse - not a lot of data to go on.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm currently running mine about 8 hours a day, from 4am till noon. I like it to be off while swimming just to be more peaceful out there.
    I have an automatic cover so have less concern about the sun's effects. My power company is looking to offer me year-round discounted rates if I'll limit power usage during summer between the hours of 3pm and 7pm. We're considering it seriously.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a solar cover that stays on most of the time, so I don't worry too much about surface skimming. I spread my run throughout the 24 hour cycle... mostly at night because my power if cheaper at that time. I do 10pm-4am, 8am-10am, and 6pm-8pm. If I use the pool during an "off" time, the pump changes from the set schedule to compensate so it doesn't do more than one turnover.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you folks turn the pump on or off when swimmers are in the pool? I always turn mine on - but they love the slide so that's part of the reason.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

My family always turns the filter on whenever they swim. There freaked out by just one bug in the water. Otherwise I just need to run it from 6 am to 10 am.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

I run mine from 11am to 7pm, this way when we swim during the day its bug free. and if we swim passed 7pm i just manually turn the filter back on.

I do have the filter run 15 minutes before sunrise just to stir up the water.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Im currently running mine from 7:30 to 10:30 during the week and 10:00 to 14:00 in the weekend, it's a small pool and the middle of winter where we are. Still experementing with run times as have only moved into the house a month or so ago. I have it at that time so I can feed the pool before I go to work. Plug in timers are cheep here and easy to adjust
    Late 1970's 39000L IG Concrete Pool with Vinyl Liner
    Austral FT55 Sand filter
    Hurlcon E170 Pump Brochure,Manual
    32-40mm Pipe work
    Living in beautiful New Zealand

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by gdog2004
    just wondering --I have a heyward 2 speed pump. I run it on low for 12 hours straight.
    I put it on high when I add chemicals or vacuum.
    We mostly swim in the afternoon. Since the skimmers dont clean that well on low, I have mine set to run on high for 2 hours around 2-4pm. So I do low from about 9am-11pm and high from 2-4 pm.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating