Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hose Broke Loose, Pump Burned Out?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hose Broke Loose, Pump Burned Out?

So I woke up as normal today and made my way to the back door to let my dogs out when I noticed that my 10,000 gallon above ground pool was, well, empty. Apparently, at some point in the night, the hose that connects the pump to the sand filter came loose/popped off shooting water all over my yard. It now looks like the pump may have run for a while without any water in it and will no longer turn on.

So a couple of questions here:

1) Is this sort of damage repairable or should I just accept the fact that I'll need a new pump once I've filled the pool up again?
    2) I'm guessing that either the clamp wasn't tight enough and vibration over the summer wiggled it loose, or there was a pressure issue and it blew off. How should I diagnose the cause to prevent it in the future?
    3) The filter doesn't appear to be leaking, so that's good, but should I be concerned about the laterals?

Thanks, gang!
    candle bags - Party dots are cool LED party lights, ideal for birthday lights, party lights and corporate novelties.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Hose Broke Loose, Pump Burned Out?

Try turning it and if it won't turn at all you'll most likely be better off replacing it. It most likely got hot enought to warp things.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit