Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Can you check my pool pump setup for me?

Can you check my pool pump setup for me?

Guys I am researching something I was told... without explaining can you tell me what pump HP I should have with this set up:

Pool 16 x 33 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (not sure of HP). Hayward Chlorinator cl200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

Was told I needed at least a 1.5 HP pump...

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

Re: Can you check my pool pump setup for me?

From the information you supplied, your pump is well sized for your filter and pool.

Who told you it wasn't? Are you having trouble?
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    From the information you supplied, your pump is well sized for your filter and pool.

Who told you it wasn't? Are you having trouble?
    I totally agree with this comment, your existing pump outperforms most 1 HP pumps, and I can see no reason to change.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

My local pool store said that a 3/4 pump was not enough for my pool with the 300 LB sand filter... he said 1 1/2 - 2 HP is needed. My pressure reading on my filter is a constant 10-11 psi. Drops a little when I turn on the Polaris. Other than that... I do notice that I get bubbles out of the returns, unless I have the eyeballs in the jets...

The pump says 3/4 on the motor but the site says:

MOTOR SQ FL, HPF, A, 1 PHASE,

60 Hz, STD, 230/115V (Almond)

thoughts?
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

If you are currently using a 3/4 and everything is fine, why even consider going up in hp?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

Is that pipe all 1.5"?

On the pump motor there should be an HP listed along with SF - Service Factor. I suspect the SF rating is more than 1.0. I by way of comparison have a 1.5HP pump motor with a Service Factor of 1.0. This is a weaker pump than a 1.0 HP with a service factor of 1.6 - the details matter. It honestly sounds like a ploy to get you to buy a pump.

Lastly my understanding is that slower, lower pressure, filtration is better - less chance for things to push through.

How long do you run the pump and are you having problems with water quality?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

Agreed. If it is working , why worry. A larger pump will just cost more to run.

The ONLY thing that a small pump may struggle a bit with is doing a good job of backwashing ... but that it not likely a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

The pipe is all 1.5 best I know (the pool equipment pipe is for sure)... the pool is new to me so unsure of underground. The pump shows a 1.30 SF as well as .98 SFHP HP is 3/4.

I run the pump 24/7.. no trouble with the pool tests as of yet... I put back about 1/2 to 1 inch of water a week (give or take... depends on the kids getting in and out).

Quote Originally Posted by myrddin
    My local pool store said that a 3/4 pump was not enough for my pool with the 300 LB sand filter... he said 1 1/2 - 2 HP is needed. My pressure reading on my filter is a constant 10-11 psi. Drops a little when I turn on the Polaris.
    I have a similar sized pool (traditional shallow end / deep end 3.5 - 5.75') and a 1.5HP Hayward pump I mentioned earlier. My sand filter is 200lbs roughly (S210T) and runs the same basic pressure you mention including the drop in pressure when running my Polaris 380 and the dedicated booster pump.

So you guys think I should be fine... guessing he was trying to make some money off me? I will do more research... unsure why he would of told me that. what are the signs of to small of a pump?

thanks for your help...

what are the signs of to small of a pump?
    Only thing I can think of would be inadequate flow/filtration ... if your water is clear, then you are good to go.

It may not be powerful enough to run a solar system on a 2-story roof (or maybe it could barely) ... but that is not in your equation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

So you guys think I should be fine... guessing he was trying to make some money off me? I will do more research... unsure why he would of told me that. what are the signs of to small of a pump?
    If your other dealings with him have been good and he hasn't struck you as greedy - he's probably just misinformed. He may genuinely think that you need that size and not understand the relationships of Service Factors, pump head, suction head etc.

If you do not meet the minimum flow rate for your heater that could be a problem.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

that is what I was int he pool place for... the heater was cutting out... but I just replaced the water pressure switch. I also had to order a new keypad (was unable to turn temp up or down). I can get a 1 1/2 HP pump for 200 bucks new (Pentair superflo) if I need it I can do it... otherwise if I dont I have no reason to waste the money. I guess I need to test the heater agn to se if I have any problems and go from there.

Hmmm ... this could be the issue, but I would think a 3/4HP pump running at 3600 rpm should be moving plenty of water for a heater flow switch ... if it was a 2-speed, I would not be surprised if low did not close the switch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Looking at the manual it says that the H150-H400 models require 25 gpm minimum (and 125 gpm max). Which model do you have?

I think it is pretty likely that you get much more than 25 gpm with that setup (unless like jbliz said, you have a 2-speed pum that you run on low...then you would be close).

The heater is the H series (pool/spa) I think its the universal one... I just walked out to it and dont see any numbers on it, and the manual has lots of them in it... Any idea how I can get you that info? I was able to start it up and dont think I have had any trouble since I replaced the water pressure switch... I also just replaced the keypad and it works fine as well... but I have only turned it off and on twice and have not given it a lot of run time. Really awesome that you guys are helping... I plan to become a supporter of your site. thanks. agn if I do need to pick up another pump, I can do it, but if I dont have to... I guess why waste the money...

OH it is a single speed pump... Only other thing is I am learning the pool treatment process... so I can only assume that its doing its job? lots to learn. but I know I am in the right place to do so.

I would suggest "Be Calm and Carry On" When you work the heater a little more it should become clear if you have a problem. Even then, you may be able to backwash and increase the flow enough for the heater to work ... but I really doubt the pump is too small.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

thnx guys... I will do a heater test this weekend and see how, or if it fails. Till then I will sit tight.

very cool of you all to assist.