overnight chlorine test not working --algae? pics included

justin_huffman

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
hello friends, im stumped and am turning as usual to the BBB guru's

2 months ago i got caught with low chlorine on several hot days. About a week later sediment started appearing on the floor of my pool. i swept, shocked, passed the OLCT and water cleared right up. 4 or 5 days later it started again. so again i did the standard ops, pool cleared up passed the OLCT. This time I stayed above 14 FC for several extra days to be sure. i removed the steps and scrubbed them as well. The moment my FC goes below 10 or so the sediment starts appearing on the floor of the pool. Quite frankly Im stumped and have considered the "pool store" for assistance. Ive read up on mustard algae but cannot determine if thats the problem.

Ive included a few pics of what my pool looks like after a few days. the only thing i can imagine is the algae is living inside the cartridge filter ?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 185
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 185
Re: overnight chlorine test not working --algae? pics includ

Please post a set of current test results including your current CYA level. That will give us a place to start troubleshooting.

Hi, Justin,

Well, the only time algae gets established in a pool is if the chlorine is inadequate. Once there, however, you must thoroughly shock the pool but you can only do so by following the process outlined in Pool School.

I know you know all this and I hear your frustration. I am only repeating what you already know for reinforcement. You are gonna have to get chlorine in your pool and keep it there, brush, clean the filter when the psi rises (algae needs some light to grow but it can really gunk up your filter....just not grow there very well) run the pump 24/7 and do ALL of the things required to complete the shock process.

As positive as I can be from a pic, that IS algae and there is really only one effective path to get rid of it.

thanks for stopping in Dave. I have an update, i put 4 182 oz bottles of clorox into the pool. 2 yesterday afternoon and 2 before bed. this morning my FC is reading 29 and the algae on the floor of the pool is actually diminishing; in other words there is half as much sediment on the pool floor this morning as there was yesterday afternoon. No sweeping or vacuuming yet... Has anyone seen this type of behavior of the algae? I hadnt planned on starting to sweep until i had mustard shock levels in the pool. ill sweep tonight after work and get a new filter cartridge. thanks for the input.

You aren't really describing anything unusual as far as algae goes. The more vigilant you are about keeping your FC at shock level, the sooner you will rid your pool of algae.

Keep your chlorine at normal shock level... Looks like standard algae to me.

Brush, brush, brush your pool, steps and anywhere algae may be lurking. It can form a protective film over itself to guard itself from chlorine.

Keep your pool clean of debris and vacuum sediment (dead algae) so the chlorine isn't working on breaking it down and can continue killing anything still living.

You can do it... just keep on plugging and don't get lazy about it... It is waiting for that :)

Reading between the lines of your last post, it sounds like you may be thinking you are done adding chlorine......not so. Shock is a process wherein you must MAINTAIN the high level of FC until all indicators of algae are gone.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School, add more chlorine tonight, brush, clean your filter (are you sure you need to buy a new cartridge?) and do ALL the things mentioned in the shock article and your pool will soon be crystal clear.

PS - really just repeating what suziqzer already posted.....stay with it.

No Dave- each time I shock I maintain fc above 14, based on the formula in the pool school. This time I'm ruling out mustard algae by maintaining a higher value. Will post back any results. Thanks :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.