Pump runs for about 5 minutes, and then stops

Aug 15, 2012
I have a Hayward Super-pump, 1 HP. It recently stopped pumping (I would hear a humming sound, but that's it).

I did some research, and took the pump apart to get a look at the impeller, nothing was wrong. I eventually ended up replacing the starting capacitor.

After replacing the capacitor, the pump started (Woo!). But it only worked for about 5 minutes before it stopped and I could hear a humming sound coming from the motor. The housing was pretty hot to the touch, so I'm guessing it overheated. I could still spin the impeller by hand, so I know that that's not jammed or anything.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?

Does that have 2 capacitors? A bump on the side and the other on the back cover.

Check both. It does sound like it is overheating, if nothing wrong with the capacitors and the motor turns free and smooth, I think that means that the insulation on the windings has failed and you need a new motor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.