Wow...what a mess

OK, so what are the lessons here? References? BBB reports? Payment upfront? Lack of discussion of the details of the construction? Did the homeowners know that permits were needed?

IMO, the lessons are:

1) Be the "difficult" customer. I don't mean you have to be rude or unreasonable, of course...but be the customer who gets details up front, in writing. Be the customer that insists on reading everything...and then actually read it. Ok, sure...maybe you're "that guy"...but "that guy" isn't out $40k

2) Shop around. Even if you find a price and product that meet your needs/wants up front...shop around anyway. Familiarize yourself with the other vendors or companies that can provide the same product or service, ask them questions, get answers. You can learn an amazing amount about the product, correct installation, follow-up services, industry standards, and various charges/fees/services.

3) Following the law is EVERYONE'S job. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, neither is a poor decision to trust the wrong person or company. Contact local, county, or state authorities and ask questions. Inquire about permits, laws, inspections, and standards. Yes, an installer or builder or vendor should certainly be aware of the laws where (s)he operates, and should certainly follow them where they apply to his/her service or operation...but the customer is equally responsible for his/her own property, and following the laws there as well. Bottom line...you're still guilty of speeding even if the car salesman told you the police don't pull that model of car over.

==============

I'm sure there's other lessons or cautions one might take from such a story...but those are what leap to mind for me initially.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.