Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wow...what a mess

1. Back To Top    #1

Wow...what a mess

Quite the drama here in the Nashville area.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19289340/drea ... murky-mess
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wow...what a mess

OK, so what are the lessons here? References? BBB reports? Payment upfront? Lack of discussion of the details of the construction? Did the homeowners know that permits were needed?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

IMO, the lessons are:

1) Be the "difficult" customer. I don't mean you have to be rude or unreasonable, of course...but be the customer who gets details up front, in writing. Be the customer that insists on reading everything...and then actually read it. Ok, sure...maybe you're "that guy"...but "that guy" isn't out $40k

2) Shop around. Even if you find a price and product that meet your needs/wants up front...shop around anyway. Familiarize yourself with the other vendors or companies that can provide the same product or service, ask them questions, get answers. You can learn an amazing amount about the product, correct installation, follow-up services, industry standards, and various charges/fees/services.

3) Following the law is EVERYONE'S job. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, neither is a poor decision to trust the wrong person or company. Contact local, county, or state authorities and ask questions. Inquire about permits, laws, inspections, and standards. Yes, an installer or builder or vendor should certainly be aware of the laws where (s)he operates, and should certainly follow them where they apply to his/her service or operation...but the customer is equally responsible for his/her own property, and following the laws there as well. Bottom line...you're still guilty of speeding even if the car salesman told you the police don't pull that model of car over.

==============

I'm sure there's other lessons or cautions one might take from such a story...but those are what leap to mind for me initially.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the lesson is don't hire an outfit without a proven track record and references you can check. No laws or permits would have fixed this mess as these guys had no intention of building a real pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

Three rules come to mind...References, references, and references.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.