Close in stages?

lee872

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I'm thinking about closing my pool in stages this year. Put on the mesh cover in early Sept, but leave all the plumbing in place. I'd run the pump for a few hours a day, fold back the cover to test and add bleach as needed. Then in mid to late Oct, fold back the cover to get at the returns and do the actual winter closing. Does anyone have experience with this? Or do you see a reason not to do it this way?

What I hope to accomplish is a cleaner pool in the Spring, and a fall where I don't have leaves and pine needles in the pool.

Thanks!

That was me in my previous house. In this house, my neighbor has pine trees along the boundary line, and that is a lot to keep up with. Droppings are already starting this year. In fact, once the pool is covered I'm going to have a tree service come out and give me the bad news on cost to trim the overhanging branches. The trees are 80 - 100 ft high as near as I can figure. I can't use that end of the patio because of sap, and sap droppings are almost reaching the pool this year. The former owners had the branches trimmed about 5 years ago, so I guess that's something I'll need to do also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.